View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:20 pm

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
JumpNMustang's Training Journal 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: JumpNMustang's Training Journal
It's hard for me to be critical of your openings since we don't play the same ones.

I will say that I am impressed with the objectivity in your analysis and I like how organized you've kept your journal. There are a few interesting mid-game positions that I'll look at when I have a real chance to bite down and study, so hopefully I can post in the not so distant future.

As for the Walter Churchill game, the idea that h3 "simply busted the KID in half at all levels" does seem crazy. My own analysis makes me question if Walter wasn't confusing this with another position where h6 is played (IA on Fritz seems to confirm).

The only idea I've seen that effectively cuts in half a KID is the pawn push to the 5th rank, something Walter hadn't set up to do and a move like h6 probably just loses tempo if that were his plan. I'm not trying to label h3 horrible by any means- just that I agree he seemed to grossly overestimate its strength.

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:54 am
Rook

Rating: 1967
Hello Journal,

I am sorry I neglected you for so long, but I could not for the life of me find my Reno, Western States scores. Anyway, I found them. This was actually my best Western States result. If I remember correctly I had all my games played just fine, and the resulting game blunder at the end was not really as bad as I usually have in these tournaments. It was the money game indeed, and I did feel like I faltered. However, I do not feel I choked. If that makes any sense. They were all legit learning experiences.

Ok, I need to convert to electronic format and I will post them asap.

Jesse

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 am
Rook

Game 1: 25th Western States Open, Class C , Round 1 board 3

Well, I actually liked this game.. It felt good to beat up someone who plays a closed sicilian, even if the person playing it was a little off on the normal move orders.

2. .. d6

From this move I signify I am willing to play against the f4 push with an e5 push. This might be a bad plan, but I have had no problems with it, and I have not consulted a master about it yet.

3. f4

I thought this was a signal that he was going for the Grand Prix Attack, but later he deviates from this. I was scared here, because I do still have some weaknesses playing against this attack. Most of them I think are psychological.

4. b3?

I did not understand this move because in this type of system the bishop plans to go to h6, and this move usually signifies a type of Fianchetto formation. So I imagined he was going to be positional. As the game progressed it seemed to get a little messy.

10. Ng5?

I consider this a mistake. The reason being, I think the only reason he moved here was to trade the bishop off. It seems that way because where else is the knight going? If this is the reason, then I believe there was a more productive move here. (eg: 10. d3 and 11. Qe1 for example, with ideas of playing Qg3 and Nh4. Depending on how black moves and reacts of course.)

14. .. c4!

I do think this is worthy of an exclam, because of the fact that it is sound and it seemed to come out of nowhere. I know some of you will say "of course it's obvious" but good chance your fibbing.;-) The idea is that the pawn on d3 is pinned, and if b3xc4 then Qb6+ wins the bishop on b2. The second side of it is, it looks pretty good positionally to me. That part I could be wrong, but that is where this forum comes in doesn't it?

15. Nf5?

Missing the threat of Nxe4. The pawn I believe is very important.

20. Nxe5??

I believe this is the game ending blunder, loses a straight piece, and I don't think there is any reason to examine further.

Any journal readers out there find flaws let me know.. Thanks

Jesse

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:36 am
Rook

Hello Journal,

This was Round 2.

Nikita is a player I played in a previous Reno tournament. I won that one as well, except it took A LOT LONGER. He is a young player, and pretty strong. Unfortunately someone may not get the impression from this game. I assure you this game is not a measurement of his strength, he just faltered and probably never seen the positions in this opening before. I am willing to bet he usually sees main line ideas more often.

3. Nf3

I like this move order because it's tricky. It's not a trap line, just a little blind siding. If you look at some of my games, I do play lines that are similar to this. They are not "Trappy" they just kind of play tricks on the mind.

6. h3

This is exactly one of those tricks. I have yet to see someone fall into this in real life, but the idea is if Bxf3, then Bxf3, attacking the Queen. Then Qxd4??, Bxc6+ wins the poor Queeny.

7. 0-0-0?!

I notice a lot of players who are young or aggressive, or young AND aggressive, tend to do this. They develop their queenside quickly in hopes to castle queenside, and attack the king on the king side. Forgetting that in order to accomplish this they need to develop the king side as well.

8. c4!

One of the ideas of this move order is that people who generally play this believe that the Nf3 move order hinders the natural development of the "C" pawn. I don't know if I agree with the assessment of some people that Nf3 is a mistake, but I do believe in a lot of lines the pawn belongs on c4, and doing it without having to move the knight to another square first is a blessing.

9. d5?!

I do not know how good this move is, if it is at all. IT concedes the center, and could help black alleviate some pressure. On the other hand it gains space. I am incline to believe there are better moves at this time. I think the reason I did it was because it was either that, or Be3, and I wanted to do something else with the c1 bishop.

14. .. Nxd5?

I believe this is a mistake, because I feel I can produce an attack from this position a lot faster than he can defend. No real reason to give a line me thinks because the forced variation happened. Unless you want to know what happens to the knight if black does not play c6.:-)

17. Bf4

This is one of the moves that makes me believe that Nxd5 is a mistake. White HAS got to move the queen or it's lost, the other side is, the bishop blocks the kings natural escape to b8... So in essence I have killed his castle AFTER he castled, and the king is forced to stay in the center! To finish it all off, I am way ahead in development, and his last developing move was his last mistake in the game.

18. .. Bc5??

Blunders a piece. Not too much I can say to help him here really, I think if he does the other move: Kd7, he is in just as much trouble or more, because his king is under fire.

If I miss something or my analysis is just weak let me know...

Jesse

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:02 am
Rook

Ok, Round 3!!

This one was one of the meat and bones of the tournament. It went into an ending, but like most of the games I have had in the "C" class I win something and convert. Maybe not the best of ways, but I feel comfortable when I do it.

4. .. g6

This unbelievably was my FIRST game I ever played an accelerated dragon. Seemed to go just fine, and the only thing I think I have a problem with is the fact that I could have won a pawn in the R&P ending and I passed it by. Not sure why at the moment.

7. Qd2

Up to this point is recommended mainline. This is a line, but it is not recommended because Ng4 is strong.

9. fxe3

I have had problems with this move in blitz, but I have not had problems with it in regular play. It's mostly just mistakes in the middle game I do that gets me stuck in a bad attack. I have been mated yugo style before with this move in blitz.. But come on... it's blitz.:-)

16. e5

I am not sure how good this is, seems to just lose the pawn. I don't know why he did it, unless it was just to get the bishop, in which case I am happy to do so because it gets me closer to a winning endgame.

19. Rxd4?!

I don't know if this is a mistake, I almost believe it is, because if he played exd4 then at least he cured an endgame weakness, and the only thing he has to fight is the pawn down problem.

26. .. Rh8!

Placing the rook on the only open file is gravey.. Plus if you notice, I have placed my king in the center of the board as well. I think that is a nice touch.

31. .. Ke5

The funny this about this is the moves 27-31 for black almost looked like they were instrumental don't they?:-) Well no, I just attacked and he just defended. I didn't have a plan in those moves to make the board look this way. They were logical and sound, and his defending was probably close to forced. The pretty part is they worked totally in my favor. I have all the tactics in this position as well as the positional pluses.

33. .. Rd2+

This is it. I am not sure if Rxb2 was good or if I saw something wrong with it. This was I think at the time just a way to simplify the position. So I don't consider it a mistake, just Rxb2 is another option.

40. Rb6

Protects all my weaknesses and still attacks more pawns. I will be at least three pawns up and all the smoke has cleared. I saw him in the NAO and he still remembered me. Very nice person!

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:21 am
Rook

Game 4!

This one was an experiment (I know experiments are for non-serious games :-) ). I wanted to see what a tournament condition game would be like if I played a gambit. I played several. This is also the tournament I found out people watch me, because the only person to beat me in this tournament told me he expected this opening because he saw me play it here. That opened my eyes a bit, however I didn't play a gambit against him.;-)

Shows my natural instincts for playing people is good, even if my play don't match my instincts.

3. d5!

This is the best to combat this gambit I believe. Other things I don't believe are very good, unless you follow stientiz in believing that the only way to prove a gambit wrong is to accept it.

6. c4?!

At this point I realized I was in trouble, BECAUSE?!?!? I forgot the analysis. Before this move I was going, "OMG, I forgot the analysis, what do I do." In this case I believe this is horrid. I am not sure where I went wrong.. And to be honest I don't play these anymore so I don't care to find out.

8. Kd1

I think he can take the rook.:-) I also think I scared him with the possibility that Qxb7 might hurt.. I think Qxa1 hurts me more however. I comped it and it seems to think his move was the best for those of you that want to know what the silly computer says. Gives a -1.12 favor for black.

11. d3

Here I was faced with either Qxe4 and dealing with Nxe4 with a threat against my c2 pawn, or this move which doubles my pawns. The reason I am forced to trade queens here is the queen is also hitting my b1 knight! I felt so losing here.

14. .. Nb4?

I don't like this move because he is trying to hard to kill me and forgetting to develop his pieces. I believe even in this position it is important. So another good move I was afraid of was 14. .. e5, Where the bishop can goto b4 not the knight.

24. Ncd3+

Looks pretty don't it? I kind of like it, but it also gets killed there!! Muahahahahah!!!

25. Nxa5

Of course this is quicky analysis... At this point I should explain something...... This game was a long time control. The director of this tournament claims its the longest of the US. I do believe him but I don't know. The controls are 40/2 60/1 sd/30

At this juncture my opponent had played all the way down to the last 10 minutes, and was now blitzing.. I still had my first 2 hours.:-) I like to think of myself as the "Class Anand" because I save a lot of time on the clock and I can still make good moves, if I understood them of course. Most of my blunders are based on misunderstanding the position.. The rest are butterflies. I think here I gained back everything I lost, and should have somewhat an equal position.. And I also had the advantage of a huge clock.

26. .. Rg2??

This was the game ending blunder. It just loses a piece. On his defense he had lack of time.. But on my defense... IT's HIS fault he got so low.;-)

On move 41, he flagged.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:47 am
Rook

Game 5 was funny but I didn't like it at the time.:-)

3. e5?

In this position I think is a mistake because it really does nothing but give black a chance to get his bishop outside the pawn chain.

7. .. Bb4?

This is a huge mistake, because it commits black into exchanging the dark square bishop. Which I find out later is part of the reason I didn't like this game.

12. .. Bg4?

This a long with Bxf3 is bad as well, because it does not really "Create" a weakness, it just trades and allows white to have a focus point. This move and 0-0 makes it easy for white to attack black.

16. .. 0-0??

I think this sucked, Much better was 0-0-0 for black. White has no attack over there and black should be better. I should mention that black has the better piece as well. I would have liked the position, but I think 0-0 really screws up the position, even if I didn't like the moves making this position possible.

18. .. g6

This proves I realize what I did wrong, and I am back paddling to hope he does not break through.

25. Bg5??

Pretty attack if white didn't blunder into mate in 2 on the next move! Muahahahahah!!! For two moves he "help" mated himself. HE could have played Bd2 twice and only lost slowly.

After analysis..

I put this into the comp just now. I just found out that the whole game was in my favor. After 0-0, he even was considered a full pawn and a half down. I don't know how good of analysis this is in a masters mind, but I would really like to know. I don't trust computers when it comes to analysis.

Ok guys, I will post the last round game later. I have to get back to life. I will be back soon to give my only loss of the tournament.

Cheers

Jesse

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:16 am
Rook

Ok, Here is the last round. It was the money game of course. Round 6, Board 1.

4. Qxd4

I still think this move is ok. Since my last tournament report and this one, I have went back to e4 again. From the feel of e4, I believe it will be for a long long time.:-) So I may do this move again soon, but I think I have been blessed with learning a variation of the Grand Prix. Qxd4 is known to have a slightly bad reputation at lower levels (0-2200), because I guess it does not do well. In the books I have read it has no problems yet. J. Polgar used it in a few of her tournaments, and no one has broken those. In my opinion it is not the opening here it's the players behind them.

5. Bb5

Pinning the knight so it cannot take the queen. This is similar in nature the Philidor line where you play 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 exd4 4. Qxd4 Nc6 5. Bb5 It's an attempt to develop quickly without losing pace.

8. h6

Ok, This is where I faulter a bit the first time. I have never seen this move so I am on my own. I don't think I did wrong, I just think maybe I should "look" at this line again because it might be played. I still don't know what to do in these positions. I am positive you do not take the knight, but never know.

12. 0-0

I believe now that I probably should have saved the pawn. I don't think there was enough gained from sac'ing it. Either that or I just didn't play well enough to justify doing it. Like I should have focused on opening lines, and for some reason I just didn't end up doing this.

30. axb6

I should analyze this a lot better, but this is where I feel I messed up the entire game. It gave a lot of things, like freeing up his position. I felt here like I had him bound up and I had to release the tension to move forward. After the game I felt that releasing the tension is what messed up the game. Part of this feeling is from the fact that I forgot about the knight vs bishop thing. I focused on the queenside when I had that bound up, because he was reacting to it. On the correct side I should have cultivated my knight to see if I could make it better than his bishop. Before this move I believe it was. I mean he played "f6" earlier which seemed weird to me, and I just ignored it. It may not mean much to most, but the fact that the knight and the bishop are the main imbalances beside me being down a pawn is important. I should have looked at that idea with a clear head.

35. Ke2

Ok, maybe I was a little hard on myself about being losing. I am not sure this is "Losing" yet. Only that I am still a pawn down in this position and there is no weaknesses anymore in his position like there was. He is at least equal here, and I don't like it.:-)

36. Kf3

I believe this to be an inaccuracy. Taking the pawn is much better, it turns out this is the pawn that kills me.

41. f5

This is a cool move, I didn't realize it at the time, but exf5 is better than ignoring it like I did. Liquidates his nice pawn center he gets in the resulting position. So something like: 42. exf5 exf5 43. f3 fxg4 44. fxg4 would be the same position with a less pretty pawn center for black. On the other hand I saw on move 43 he could play 43. .. f4 and that scared me a little. Now I don't think much of it, but at the time it scared me. I believe this could be what got to me back then, was fear in most of my games. Keep in mind Journal, I am still new to tournaments really. I don't have a lot especially when this game was played.

57. Ng7

Ok, I am on the low end of the stick here. I think this is a bad move though, Probably Nd4 is better. I mean the best moves would probably lose here, but at least it's doing something. I think I went to g7 because I wanted to try for jedi mind tricks or something.

71. Nf2

Ok, if there was ANY chance of pulling off a draw this was it. I blew it here. I had to keep the knight on the board. I knew it at the time and played this move anyway.

The game went completely down hill from here.

Thank you Journal for looking at my games.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:45 am
Rook

I wanted to see how this looked if I placed all games from one tournament into one post.

This is from the National Open u1800. I played VERY well for the most part of this tournament, except two games I did poorly. One I lost on like move 11, I don't know what happened, and I don't know if it's even worth fixing except to go over the basics of chess again.:-)

The other game I did poorly on was backlash from the previous game, so "round 4 I lost, round 5 I almost lost because I was blown so far away from round 4." I feel I made a come back in round 5, because I had a losing position and I buckled down and fought for a draw. When I got it, I felt a lot better.

The last game I had analyzed by GM Jesse Kraai in chesslecture.com, Found out I was a little over confident that game as it seems I am during most of my games. You should see that my last tournament this year, Dec 6th 2008, I felt like I played like a tournament player. No real flaws, except I didn't understand the resulting position in my one loss, and my one draw I didn't understand how I could have made my positions better. That tournament was a big learning experience, and I am posting that one soon as well.

Lets see how this looks!

So Round 1.

3. Bb5

I am a Lopez player by nature, you will probably see a lot of these from now on.

6. f6

Funny that someone should do this in a tournament. I believe this is just wrong. It does not develop a piece and it blocks in the e7 bishop more, and it opens the king side. What more convincing would someone need not to do this? I dunno, but the player is 1600+ and obviously this works for him.:-)

8. Bd3

So, in the lopez normally you play Ba4 b5, Bb3(Bc2) with possibilities of playing for an attack in the center and king side. In this particular position I played Bd3 now because it saves time. There is no reason to play Ba4 because there is no pin, nor is there any play for the bishop there. Since the bishop likes the b1-h7 and a2-g8 diagonals I placed them there in one move. I believe saving time in the long run.

8. .. exd4

A lot of the times I agree, this is a good move. A few titled players have called a move like this "Very Karpovian". Not really sure what that means, but aparently Karpov has played exd4 to relieve tension in the center in order to attack it against Lopez positions. Never looked into it myself. In this case, it seems this is not so hot, because white has all the advantages and black is being passive. So exd4 only gives white more advantages. One being the center is completely his.

10. d5

In hindsight, I believe this is wrong. There is no reason to allow black to trade down so much material. Be3 is much better and keeps the center in tact. It also sets up for playing things like Rc1 and piling up on the c file, maybe. There are a lot of ideas that are rich in this position, and only now do I see them in at least a lot more color. (Hard to explain here I have noticed. I think I might try to make video's out of some of these games.

You know, I went a little further in the game and arrived at the position on move 13. Qxd3, and felt that I really should stop and see what it would be like to post a video as well as the games. So I am going to stop and see what happens I will get back to you Mr Journal real soon to see how the video turns out.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:22 am
Rook

Hi Journal,

I am back. I spent the last two years spiraling into an abyss of self pity about my play. I have since fixed this and I am back stronger than ever!

I stopped playing around Dec 2008, because one of my tournaments I use to play a lot in, I faltered pretty bad. I believe I came out with a 3-3 score in the B section, losing outright. I felt like trash and I played like trash.

I stopped playing literally for about a year. Then I picked myself back up and reassessed my chess so to speak. Played really badly at first. So bad I had to ask people how to fix it. Things like dropping pieces even happened. I lost one game to a chess club member who was rated around 1100. This did depress me a little but I got over it and soon got my stride back.

With my renewed passion for the game comes a change in style. I no longer play just 1. e4, and I am starting to familiarize myself with a real opening I can succeed in and learn positional play from, 1. c4.

Now for the playing update. I went to my first come back tournament this last may. The San Joaquin Championships, I lost the first game to a 1300 who plays like a 1700. Then I won my last four games, ironically tying for first. Next tournament was the National Open 2010. In that tournament I made some typical errors I usually did back when I was a 1600 player, but on the whole I did very well. Leaving with a score of 4-2. The first loss I doubted a mating combination and made three consecutive blunders and got mated. The second loss I had I had a draw in my hands, and mind farted a simple tactic to lose the game. (planning to post them with analysis). The last tournament was a two day in Bakersfield. I won the u2000 prize with a score of 4-1, only losing to a FM. I will analyse those as well. Before my come back I dropped from my high of 1870 to 1810. After my grand come back, I have regrouped with a whopping jump from 1810 to 1910 all in about a month.

Thanks for listening journal, I will post analysis soon.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 pm
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Welcome back :)

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:08 pm
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Rook

Wow.. Brings back memories to go back over my old posts. I really should not have let this go so unedited. I wonder if anyone still reads these things.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:28 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Yep- people still read 'em. :)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm
Rook

That is wonderful. Do you know if you can embed videos in these? Or do you link them?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:59 pm
   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next