View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:53 pm

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
stry's journal 
Rook

stry's journal
Greetings All,

I'm new to the site and I must say I really, really like what I see here. Watching the live game videos has been enjoyable particulary the beginner vids because they are more understandable at this point in my chess knowledge.
Brief bit about myself. middle-age guy who use to play OTB in monthly club tourneys here 20 years ago. I think at my height, my uscf rating was in the 1400's. I didnt have a lot of time to study due to work, partying and chasing women. Experience now has shown me I probably woulda enjoyed studying more, who know where I would be by now :)
I recently got back into playing online at FICS with the name, stryyder. After about 50-60 standard games Im right at 1300. I had a friend give me a computer that was loaded with chess stuff so his wife wouldnt get it in a divorce. Why a woman would want a computer devoted to chess Ill never know but I am benefiting. He comes over once in a blue moon and fiddles but he isnt thinking much bout chess these days.
Right now I am concentrating on tactics, tactics and more tactics. I have a account on chesstempo and chess tactic server. I also have a couple tactic programs including chessimo and something called ct-at 3.0? I think on here. Plus Gig's and Gigs of ebooks and such as well. Mind-boggling how the Internet in the past 20 years has allowed the spread of chess information. Right now I have more information than I could probably ever use.

Sooo...

Suggestions for a study plan? I can probably devote 3-4 hours a day to studying and playing. At the moment I go and do some tactics on each server for probably hour and half depending on my mood. Should I keep track of my ratings there? Also I am starting to read Silman's endgame book. I like how its broken down to sections based on ratings.

So please, if ya have even half an idea how and what I should study chime in. Im looking for a good way to organize what Im studying as well. :)

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:32 pm
Rook

Re: stry's journal
here's a game from FICS today. Trying to learn how to use game replayer and so forth.White is rated 1283 and Im 1299.

3.Qd3 confused me for a bit and after deciding it wasnt a threat but probably a error I could capitilize on soon, i continued developing.
4.e4 e6. I briefly thought about dxe4 and rejected it because of the efile getting opened up maybe with some kinda check for him there with that queen.I shoulda taken anyway because 5.e5 turned out to be killer, cramping the heck outta my position.

12.b4 Qe7. (Diagram) Here Im trying to attack his b and c pawns intending ...Bd7 and ...a5.If the a file opens up, I want my bishop off the 8th rank so my rooks can "talk".
15.c3..d4. Attacking his c pawn still trying to carry out my plan from 12th moves.Now here I was looking at his Q ending up on c3 after the exchange then I could take on take on b4 with my a pawn making his queen move then running my rook down to a3 then doubling them up on the a file.
16.Ng5..dxc3. I totally ignored his threat here and thats what lost the game.Fritz's blunder check said I shoulda played 16...h6 here. oh well.
I resigned after 19.Qh3. I was in a losing position and a neighbor was banging at the door.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Rook

So for yesterday's training:
I got to play about 6 games on FICS, 2 of which were blitz. I won 2, lost 3(one blitz on time) and drew 1 that I might have won. Ill run that one through Fritz maybe to see if I coulda played it out and won.
I spent a hour doing 135 tactic problems on chessimo, most were mate in 2 or 3. They involved deflection, pins and some were sacrifices including multple sacs.ChessTempo I spent about 30 min doing 47 problems and ended up with a 1351 rating.on Chess tactic server I spent another 30 min doing 63 problems with a ending rating of 1221 and solve % of 59.9. I really dont like the time constraint there so I wont put too much into the rating there because of that. Ill strive to improve my solve % better there. I also found another site for tactics, maybe Ill try it tmw.
So that was about 2 hours doing tactics and close to hour and half maybe playing on FICS. I wanted to get to a Silman's endgame book but just couldnt. I was on target for training time. Tmw Ill start with the endgame book and also try to do a chapter in Lev Alburt's Comp Chess course Vol 2.
Always comments and suggestions are welcome for those reading.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:25 pm
Rook

Ugh, too much going on yesterday, 10/14. Didnt get any training done nor did I play a single game online. My corr games started so spent all my free time organzing for them. I have 5.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:21 am
Rook

Got about 150 tactic problems done tonight in chessimo. Took bout just over 1 hour. Updated a bunch of moves for my 5 corr games. Gonna make sure to get to bed early tmw, wanna make sure I have time to get some fics games in. Still havent started reading silman's endgame book.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 pm
Rook

Played this game tonight before bed.White was 1250ish.

I didnt see anything wrong untill 6.f4 nc6. maybe I shoulda played 6...Neg4 instead.
7.Bd3 Bc5. now Im eyeing the weak e-pawn.
9...Bg4 and it was over. This is where my game crumbled.Hindsight I shoulda just taken the Knight on f3. [10...Bxf3.11.Qxf3 Re8 12.Nb3 Qd6] possibly.
12.hxg4 Nxg4. Maybe better woulda have been 12...g6. White knight to g5 is very problematic I see. Ill run it through a engine and see what looks like.

Also got about hour n half tactis done. CT was 32 problems in 30 min, end rating of 1348. CTS was 75 problems in 45ish min. Starting rating was 1221 with 59.9 solve %.Ending was 1225 rating with 60.7 % solve.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:55 pm
Rook

So I decided to go by J.Silman's recommendation for a study plan with a little bit of a modifcation.Tactics 30%, Positional Concepts(middlegame) 30%, Openings 10%, Analyzing master games 15%, Anaylzing/Deconstructing my own games 15%. The two analyzing parts maybe less with the tactics picking up the slack. On the openings, at first I will go over several trying to pick 2 as white and 2 as black then learning the first 5-7 moves of each and the ideas behind them. I think the master games I will try to analyze will be in the openings I pick. That way, not only will I be seeing the lines of the openings I pick, but also what the goals will be.Ill take at look at endgames but only a small part untill my rating class changes as per Silman's book. Such as basic over-powering mates like K+Q vs K and using K+p vs K. I tried practicing 2 B's + K vs K other night with a engine and the best I could do was stalemate before the 50 move rule kicked in, haha. Learning that one for me is gonna be a nightmare I can see :)
My goal will be 4 hours a day. Playing will be 2 hours. 36 min for tactics, 36 min for Positional, 18min for going over Master games,12 min for openings and going over my games for the remaining 18 min. Haha, i can see this will be modified on the fly each day. Such as Im enjoying going over a game by Alekhine for instance, I wont stop soon as the clock hits 18 min, heh.
Alright, off to do some tactics on Chess tempo.
To keep a record, my rating on FICS is 1291 with 41 wins, 38 losses and 5 draws. I use a seek formula of 900-1450 rated players with time control of 15 min or 30 min each.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:46 am
Rook

Just got through a game on FICS. Opponent was white and 1414 rating. I went through it myself afterwards then ran Fritz's blunder check.

4.c3 d5 I didnt see anything wrong, Fritz said 4...Nxe4 5.d3 Nf6 leads to equal material and equal position for black. I missed the hanging e pawn.
11.c4 Qa5. I didnt see anything wrong. However Fritz did.[11...Qxc4 12.Qxc4 Bxc4.13.Rc1 Be6 14.Ne5 Nxd4 15.Nc3 Be7 16.Rd1 Nc2 17.Rac1 Nxe3] Black is up a piece and 2 pawns. There's no way I woulda seen this far into it. I am gonna go back and look hard at it.This woulda won the game for me.
15...Bd5. I was tihkning ...Bd3 mighta been better, Fritz didnt c anything wrong.
17...bd6 I didnt like nor did Fritz. I thought Be7 wheres Fritz like 17...a5 18.Nb5 Kb8 19 Bf4 with black a bit better.
19...Kb8 Fritz liked better 19...Be5 20.Bxa7.21 d6 Rd7 line better.
23...Rc8. I liked better 23...b6 24.Bf4 Bb5 maybe. Fritz didnt think it was a blunder tho.
42...Kd5. I thought this was a huge blunder. I thought 42...Bxh3 woulda been much better but Fritz skipped over it.
The rest of the game was a endgame that I didnt problems but of course F found a whole lot for me to go over.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:11 pm
Rook

Sum up today. 63 problems in 25 min on CTS, end result of 1241 rate(increase) and 60.7 solve %.35min on CT with end rating of 1376 for 35 problems. On chessimo I did 90 problems in 30 min. So for tactics I did hour and half today for 189 problems. An increase on both servers. On FICS I played some games both blitz and Standard. 991 blitz rating with 13 games played total. Standard rating was 1309 for a total record of 44-39-5.
Read first section of endgame book by Silman.
Went to booksotre and luckily they had nice chess section. Got both Silman's books, reasses your chess and Amateur's mind.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:40 pm
Rook

Yesterday was to busy for chess. Today was the worst for performance by far :(
7 games on fics, only won 1 cuz the guy resigned for some reason in a equal position. 6 losses sucked major dirt.Ending standard rating is 1298 for 94 games and blitz is horrible at 916 for 28 games.i think my major problems tonight were moving too fast ie dropping pieces and mis-calculating exchanges.Ill go over the games tmw and see.
2 hours tactics training done today. 87 problems on CT for end rating of 1350 with a 76.45 solve % after a hour.105 tactics on Chessimo and last 30 min on CT with end rating of 1254 after 62 problems and 61.20% solve rate. On both servers my solve % is increasing and with the rating increase on CT, I should be happy.
I should spend some time reading the SIlam books but kinda fed up with myself and chess tonight so I dont see it would do any good.
Tomorrow's a new day tho.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 pm
Rook

Well the 21st was a bit better in performance on FICS tho my rating went down. 5 games including one that needs adjudicating because I had winning position and opp let the clock run down 19 min till 1 min left then he disconn. So thats 3 wins and rating is 1293 but will go up after the adjudication.
I got about 2.5 hours done on Tactics. 1 hour on CTS for 123 problems and end rating of 1240 and 61.1% solve. 1.5 hours on CTempo for 91 problems with final rating of 1368 and 52.76 solve %.
Before bed, Ill re-read Ch 1 of Amaturer's mind to get it down pact about imbalances.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:08 pm
Rook

well for 10/22 I got about an hour done on Chess tempo.89 problems and my rating went up to 1400 and my asolve to 53.23 % I also spent about hour or so reading A.Mind.Re-read first chapter and most of 2nd.I played a few games. When i started, I decided to take my time and use the clock. In the past my games have been finishing with a crapload of time left. I had read a novice nook article about time triggers and with my recent bout of dropping pieces, I went in with the mind set to take my time and not get hurried. I made less blunders but still a few so work still to go in that area. I posted a game of mine from tonight where a opp blundered into a 4way Kn fork of mine :)

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:34 pm
Rook

This was a won game I blew.
I should have played 17...Bxf1 instead of delaying it.
40...Rxb4+ was my obvious blunder losing a winning game.

So now Im thinking keeping it a draw. Was making draw offers up untill my next blunder.48...Kd3. Shoulda played Ke3, grabbing the oppisiton. Im pretty sure it woulda stayed a draw.Then he stalemated me, hahaha.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:51 pm
Rook

Today the 23rd I got about 1.5 hours of tactics done and some good games in. Today I was 3 wins 2 losses and 1 draw.On CT, ended with 1427 rating, 53.16 solve of 75 problems.Cts was 61 problems and final rating of 1240 while solve dropped to 61.5 %
On FICS, I won every game that I was white, lost 2 games as black and drew the 3rd game as black that I should have won. Achieved my highest rating, 1320 before droppn back to 1314 with my last loss.Gonna finish reading chap 2 of silman book and review before bed.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:10 pm
Rook

I am proud of this game I played last night. A win for black, I didnt drop any pieces and the final mate in 3 I can directly attribute to my tactics training. :)

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:07 pm
   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next