View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:09 am

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black: Berlin mainline [33:17] 
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
 Re: katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black: Berlin mainline [33:17]
kamus wrote:
Interesting responses- thanks!

Some follow-ups:

Are you suggesting that the Tarrasch Defense is better suited to higher rated players? If so, why?

The Finegold quote is interesting- it sounds as if he has a low opinion of Silman's books- I may be mis-reading that but if that's what he's saying it would be the first high-level criticism of Silman's book's I'm aware of. I'm curious what led him to say that- do you have any background on that?

On Tarrasch, i think it is most suited for lower-rated players. It gets worse as you go up. Only Kasparov (pre 1985), Illescas-Cordoba, and Grischuk have played it at super-GM levels (thta i know of). I think the key is to find an opening that suits you and feels somewhat intuitive. Tarrasch certainly is very straightforward and logical though!

Finegold kibitzed the quote on ICC. I saw the screenshot so it's a legit quote.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
It's a weird quote and not entirely clear. It could mean:

1. Silman's books are great- read them and then forget everything else you know and you'll get there.

2. Silman's books suck. If you read them you will have to get a lobotomy in order to get that crap out of your head.

3. Something else...

I'm guessing #2, but without context, the quote is a bit ambiguous to me. For whatever one may think of Silman's teachings, he writes clearly and would likely have come up with a more sharply barbed witticism if the roles had been reversed here.

I have actually read a couple of Silman's books and I got something from them all; particularly The Amateur's Mind and his Endgame Course. I've only read one book by Finegold (on the Smith-Morra) and I thought it was a little anti-white in bias though it wasn't so terrible. Fortunately, since I'm a SM player myself, his analysis has been effectively challenged since then and the SM lives to fight another day.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Thank you so much Katar! A half an hour after watching your two videos on Berlin defence, an opponent played it and I did my first practice on this line. I'm not too happy about some moves I made, though I shouldn't complain when its my first ruy lopez game, but fortunately, he didn't do all the best moves either. I'm more happy with my middle game and my end game than the opening.

Here it is, in case someone is interested.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:09 am
Pawn

Rating: 2000
My game against augelmo for round 3 of the chessvideos.tv tournament was a Berlin endgame. He did a nice video on it.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:22 am
King

Hey Katar, what do you think of the more ambitious plan to transfer the black king to the queenside? Unfortunately white can fore Ke8 with Rd1+. How would you go about dealing with this if someone was to play the king to the queenside plan? (this was also featured in one of Dennis's videos)

The cool thing about the berlin is, it plays somewhat more like a system, since it's a very strategic opening. A berlin player could easily play some different variation (with h6, or immediate Ke8 etc) and still be in control, even if the lines don't exactly transpose.

Thanks for the videos, they are very helpful for building a repertoire, even if I won't use all the lines. There are just a few minor inaccuracies, but they were easily found when taking a closer look at the lines.

I basically wanted a new opening where I can vary a bit more in the lines and systems than the hyper-accelerated dragon (I'm pretty close to knowing all the lines there, so I will switch next season). I can always play that stuff as a back-up. e5 is very principled and gives you a wide variety of choices against almost any way white plays, so it's more suited as a main opening IMO. I'm going to learn your repertoire first, and then after I've really come to know them learn some new lines, for example in the closed ruy, which is a completely different monster on its own.

One last question: Are there any players (new and old) that play some of the lines you recommended in the series frequently? So I can analyze the games and get a better feel for the position? Thanks in advance. :alien:

Will you ever do a series like this for d4/c4/Nf3 or for white? Again, thanks for this useful series and a great contribution to the content of this website in general.

Kind Regards,
Hiddie

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:01 pm
King

Berlin with King to the queenside (Kramnik's plan) is more ambitious like you said. It's worth looking into of course. I always start with the simplest system. This minimizes "overhead" so i can just play the damn thing and get on with my life. Later on i can always go back and learn something more complicated if i have time or inclination, but my "simple" systems are industrial strength and can last a lifetime if they need to. 1...e5 is the ultimate "expandable" opening-- most early junctures have about 4 or 5 sound ways to play. Which i cannot say about other openings.

I second-guessed myself for going with Berlin based on some critical comments here (eg, RAU4ever and Pobble) but in fact i am now convinced it is a strong yet simple choice. The idea is to "not lose" to stronger players and keep them off you. Berlin is not so "intuitive", but there are a set of recurring positional themes. So the trick is to watch for cues re: which theme is in play. In a nutshell, Black wants to get to a light-sq "good" bishop vs "bad' knight endgame with the knight lacking good squares, usually with 1 rook each side since R+B > R+N. I've messed around with Shirov's (and Josh Friedel's) Neo-Arkangel but that thing requires careful handling and there are forcing lines that go straight to an endgame fortress. But it's fun/sharp and i'd suggest it as an aggressive alternative to Berlin.

I can also strongly recommend Jan Gustafsson's Chessbase DVD on the Open Games which is excellent. His sheer strength at 2640 ELO and lifetime of experience with 1...e5 really shines thru. Jan's product is obviously a world above mine-- however as the repertoires go, mine is waaaay simpler and much easier to pick up from scratch. Also, Marshall Attack is not worth the trouble IMO. In an ideal world each player will mix and match based on whatever makes intuitive sense to him/her personally.

As for model players, GM Josh Friedel comes the closest to following the repertoire the whole way thru, esp. the 2 Knights lines including the Ulvestad.
The big guys at 2700+ never face anything except Ruy Lopez, so you don't see their full 1...e5 repertoire, but it's worth looking at games of Michael Adams and Lev Aronian. EDIT: i think the 4...Nf6 Scotch was a massive success in the recent Tata Steel tournament-- black was basically better out of the opening each time it was played.

Thanks for the encouraging and nice words.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Wonderful video...just watching it and giving it a deserved *up*

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:13 am
King

2-minute game played online. If white plays too passive Black can use the c-pawns to break open the position for the 2 bishops.
25...Nxh3+ was winning. also 30...dxe3 was winning.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:43 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Nice!- if there was a "like" button for embedded games, I would have hit it. I think it's really good that you populate these threads (1.e5 rep threads" with games you play in the lines- I wish others would too. Thanks!

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:09 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

(This has been posted in the other relevant threads too- since the original post where I linked to the CPT repertoire has long since dropped off the radar, I thought it made sense to link here):

I have transcribed Katar's e4-e5 complete repertoire into Chess Position Trainer format. See the link at the end of this post.

Please note that for my ease in transcription, I divided the repertoire into several sub-repertoires however many transpositions exist from one opening to another that are not addressed by this method of organization. Fortunately, CPT allows one to merge the sub-repertoires (discrete sub-reps or altogether) to create one super-repertoire that does address the transposition issue. If you do this (and you probably should for training purposes), first make a copy of the original in case you want to split off any of the sub-repertoires at a later date.

Also, databases are very tricky to proofread and Katar didn't speak the moves aloud at many points as he whizzed through variations making transcription a real challenge at times, so undoubtedly there will errors and oversights. Please let me know when you discover these as I will continue to update the repertoire over time.

All the material covered in his videos including comments (though often condensed) and evaluations is included. I also drew on other sources- articles, books and computer analysis in places where I thought it was useful to flesh out the lines or investigate obvious looking replies that were not originally covered in the videos. The only video of his 9-part series not included is the Main Line Berlin Defense ("The Berlin Wall") as the types of positions that arise (i.e. based on ideas rather than variations) do not lend themselves to a database treatment very successfully. You should watch his video for the ideas involved as well as Dennis Monokroussos' two excellent videos (albeit with a different approach to the opening than Katar's recommendations) and Cox's book (The Berlin Wall).

Many thanks to katar for his hard work and diligent research and also a big shoutout to Wildman whose PGN transcriptions proved invaluable at times.

Enjoy!

http://nationalchessacademy.org/Katar_K ... _e4_e5.zip

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
A seriously beautiful endgame and a wonderful job giving commentary, chess players to look-up and summarizing difficult positions. You've made me a Kritz (and Katar) fan.

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:30 pm
King

I learned that Leonid Kritz has published videos on the Berlin Defense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnBCk7bil8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqs7RxIKZP8

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1600
Thank you for all your hard work, much appreciated.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:17 pm
King

PawnFactor, thank you for going through the trouble to register an account and leaving a comment. Best of Luck in chess and beyond! :-p

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:55 pm
   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2