View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

[ 11 posts ] 
Dark Magicians Training journal +games. 
Knight

Rating: 2022
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
 Dark Magicians Training journal +games.
Ok so My names Max and i'm 18, self tutored and rated around 2022 fide which i got at the world under 18 chess championships in turkey although i rate myself higher rated. :D
So i want to put my games up in this semi journal so you can view my games and give me advice or just general thoughts on my games and hopefully see my progress. :)

Wed May 19, 2010 6:07 pm
Knight

Re: Dark Magicians Training journal +games.
Ok so since i'm new to this site i'm unsure of how to post the games so that you can see a board so i'm just going to put down my recent game and thoughts at some moments.
I was against a 1860 rated opponent here with myself playing as black, (annotated without a computer.) time controls of 90mins for 36 moves and 15mins rapidplay
1.e4,c5,2.Nc3,nc6,3.f4,g6 (ok so a closed sicillian grand prix which is the first time i've faced this line),4.nf3,Bg7,5.Bc4,d6 6.0-0,nf6. 7.qe1,0-0, (so it was obvious that with qe1 white was going to go for a kingside attack heading to h4 followed by an eventual f5, Bh6 and Ng5 as normal follow ups to such positions.) 8.d3,Bg4 ( developing my last minor piece also aiming to trade on f3 to strenghten the d4 square which i'd like to put my knight to) 9.qh4,e6(i had envisaged that white was going to go for f5 so thought that e6 would put him off. 10.f5,d5 (so he plays f5 anyways, a dangerous sac of a pawn, typically done to speed up the attack of the kingside and ruin the black pawn structure if not played too soon i thought.) 11.Bb3,c4 (based on the thought that dxc4,dxc4,Bxc4, Bxf3, rook or g pawn takes on f3 and qd4+ and qxc4.) 12.fxg6?!, a piece sacrifice, if Ba4 i had thought that taking on f5 with the e pawn and followed by Bxf5 was safe enough so this sacrifice is understandable as it murkens the play somewhat) ....12.fxg6 (i sensed that this was the safest way to proceed, as without a computer to help myself i was unsure of how to proceed after taking on b3 against Ng5 with all the numerous threats) 13.Bg5,qb6+ 14.kh1,Bxf3 15.rxf3,cxb3 16.Bxf6,Rxf6!? (ok so after 13.Bg5 i decided of this line ,it seemed winning for myself and the exchange sacrifice seems to end all attacking thoughts on the kingside, also i thought that the dark squared bishop of whites if taken was going to benefit myself in the long term with pressure coming on the long diagonal after the following moves) 17.rxf6,bxc2 (i could do qd8 here and win back the exchange because qf4 which looks to save the exchange loses to g5 but taking on c2 and threatening B2 giving myself a powerful passed pawn looked completely winning) 18.rff1,qxb2 19.ne2 (here i had to analyse qxa1 and the consequences of the position that would proceed, i deemed it was a bit hazy so decided on something else, however after 19.c1Q, 20.raxc1,qxe2 i thought it wasn't as good as what my position was offering however in second thought perhaps the ending was completely winning?!) play continued ....19,nb4 20,qh3,re8, 21.qf3,rf8 22.qe3,qxa1 23rxa1,Bxa1 (i decided that now this looked clearly good for myself and so went into this line. 24.kg1,rc8 25.exd5,e5, 26.qh3,Bd4+, 27.kf1 (so in this position black is 100% winning, i had played the correct Bd4+ and that was half way there, i however missed the following nice line of rf8+,ke1 which i deemed as helping white over to take the pawn however, i missed bc3+!! which white can't take with the knight due to c1Q+, i real shame, i had calculated Bc3+ briefly and rejected it due to the knight taking it.) .....27 c1Q+? 28.nxc1,Rxc1+ 29.ke2,rc2+ and here as black i offered a draw which was taken immediately. a sudden end , whites got a passed pawn on d6 and a queen threatening perpetuals i deemed and if i'm not careful i could end up losing a piece, so in mild time trouble i decided of the draw. Qh3 was a nice find for white i felt., 2 minor pieces and a rook i thought would beat a queen, had just went over the Rf8+ winning line shortly after playing c1Q and so was very dissapointed with that miss and so hadn't much fight to see if i could make anything out of the position i did reach.
ok so that was my game, i'm going to post some more in the future. tell me what you think,

Wed May 19, 2010 6:49 pm
Rook

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Hey there!

To make things easier, you can post PGN files into this link:
http://www.chessvideos.tv/chess-game-uploader.php

It will automatically create a replay of your game for convenience =)

Wed May 19, 2010 7:16 pm
Knight

Hi Hapa, thanks for that, heres the game in full in diagram form, should be easier. Tell me what you think of the game!

Thu May 20, 2010 1:29 am
Knight

Ok game 2 i want to put up is my 9th round at the world under 18 chess championships and it was on my birthday and my favourite game of the tournament, i was up against a 2118 rated player and for me since i had came up through the ranks really quickly was a huge jump in standard as i'd been used to around 1700 opposition so a 400 point jump was going to be difficult, funnily enough before the round i prepared a line to play against him cause i known he played the dutch, however, my fellow team mate said to me he'd give me 10lira which is turkish money if i played the staunton gambit, and so all my preparation was scrapped for the game and improvised over the board.

one note to the game is that i think the move 4.e3 for black is a general theme for black in many variations of gambits vs the dutch but here i think it just helps me out, so most likely he got his lines mixed up, When you see black who plays 1.f5 as black play moves like 12.kd7 you know that you've got em :D

Thu May 20, 2010 1:53 am
Knight

Ok so theres 2 games that i've played this season, will post some more later... :)
so far my rating has improved from 1062-1318-1836-2022 in 4 seasons, my aims are to continue this progress in similar fashion and to overall reach perhaps a master level title like fidemaster which i know would be very tough to achieve without tutoring, short term goals are to get my opening repetoire up to scratch as it is very shaky mainly because i avoid e4 to avoid such siciallian titans and get grogged down in the theory,
right now my repetoire as white is simply 1.d4 and 1.c4 which i use to good useage as i'm used to those types of games whether it'd be a catalan or a queens indian defense or slav type positions.
as black i play the french and sicillian both quite diffierent vs e4, use the french as my solid drawing strategy vs stronger players and just recently the sicillian sveshnikov, sicillian nadjorf and sicillian hyper accelerated dragon against everyone else, but as i gain more experience with these lines will most likely use only the sicillians as it offers better winning chances, the french is of course always there for when i know i'm going to be prepared against. against d4 i am looking up the slav right now and will start using it when i get more experience with it, but right now i can play kings indian with success, the general themes come naturally, as well as the kings indian, i play the nimzo indian defense and queens indian which i mix up from time to time for different opponents, come 2011 i hope to be able to play e4 with success but with this you must know all the ins and outs i feel of e4 positions, like the caro kann, the ruy lopez, sicillians,pirc, petroff so alot to cover. :shock:

Thu May 20, 2010 2:16 am
Knight

So far i've shown 2 games one of myself winning and drawing, now i'm going to show one of my losses coming november 2009.
For the match i was white against a 2332 rated player and my preperation against his french defense got me a relatively comfortable edge, however coming closer to the time control i tryed to rid myself of a weakness and in doing so missed a nice back rank mate tactic.

also of note is that by move 11 i was out of my general french defense preperation playing 11.qh4 where the mainline was qh5 from then i was simply improvising . moving my rook to c1 was probably inaccurate as Ra2 followed by Rb2 was less passive, during the game i deemed that the knight on e5 would dominate the Bishop.-was my first taste of how important preperation for a tournament is, quite an annoying end of a match after doing so well, simply a missed tactic and the big rated players are sharp to pounce.

Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 am
Knight

Game 4 i'm going to show is one of my older games myself aged 15 where i played a lower rated 1650 rated opponent with myself as Black.

overall in conclusion of the match it can be said that without moving any rooks i disobeyed the fundamentals of development and of castling. I played quick and natural as i known the type of positions and it seemed my opponent was probably put off by this and played some uninspiring moves with move 26 Rf1 being the worst blunder of them all. in total i spent 5minutes for all my moves :o :D , i learnt after the match that this sort of blitzing for long rated matches isn't the best choice as i missed some better moves as in move 16 for black with Nxe5 tactic which you can figure out how it works yourselves :P

Wed May 26, 2010 9:52 am
Knight

Ok so my recent match was played and it was last of the season and was a cup final teams match, the team unfortunately lost but i did however get the chance to play a fine game that i want to share,
i am white in this game.

apparently the opening i played was bad because i'm not supposed to do e5 but in a kings indian position and your opponent doesn't do d6 when you do e4 it's one of those moves you got to try out... Pleased with the Game, My opponent although 1800 rated played some strange moves, his move qa5 was wrong , i think the move is nc6 there and he gets fine compensation for the pawn but his lack of test in the variation clearly showed as doing the Qa5 move led him into a bleak position.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:45 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Dark Magician,

Enjoyed the games. Keep them coming !

Quentin

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:09 am
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
pretty nice games. I thought at move 13 you had Nc7 and if Qxc7 Bxd6 and you win an exchange but Qa5+ and you're doing bad.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:17 am
   [ 11 posts ]