View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:22 pm

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Curtains video request thread 
Pawn

Rating: 1860
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: Curtains video request thread
sfarmer29 wrote:
Since we're throwing out some random ideas, how about a 'Challenge Greg Day' where you get on ICC and accept challenges from CVTV viewers. Just have a window of a couple hours when you are up to recording and if there are no CVTV people you can throw down with whomever and make videos of that.

If you do something like this you will probably want to consider doing something similar on FICS as many CVTV members don’t belong to ICC.

You can post a notice “I will be on ICC September 25th between 6:00 am and 8:00 a.m. to challenge CVTV Viewers.” Maybe this way, instead of just flat out spanking your opponent you can explain why the spanking is going on :lol:

I'm a little bit late to the conversation, but I really like this idea a lot. I'm not sure it's necessary to have a long time frame to take on anyone who comes on. Like Greg mentioned, there might not be enough users on and ready to go, and could create a lot of downtime waiting. I suggest to do it like his current blitz videos are, approximately 5 games against users in one video(maybe more if there are enough users interested,). This could be done once every month or something like that, and it would probably be 30 min or less. I think it would be valuable instruction, especially for the users involved. For the users who didnt get a chance to play it could be an instructive showing of how to beat opposition of the strength they likely play on a regular basis.

It would also guarantee some buys since the people involved will certainly pay. I used to watch a ton of your videos when they were all free. Now that they are ppv I still watch and "like" your free videos on youtube to show support, but due to financial issues am currently not able to buy ppv videos. However, I would definitely make a purchase of a video if I got a chance to play you and hear what you had to say during the game. So it might be a good way to increase customers too.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
cheVelle wrote:
sfarmer29 wrote:
Since we're throwing out some random ideas, how about a 'Challenge Greg Day' where you get on ICC and accept challenges from CVTV viewers. Just have a window of a couple hours when you are up to recording and if there are no CVTV people you can throw down with whomever and make videos of that.

If you do something like this you will probably want to consider doing something similar on FICS as many CVTV members don’t belong to ICC.

You can post a notice “I will be on ICC September 25th between 6:00 am and 8:00 a.m. to challenge CVTV Viewers.” Maybe this way, instead of just flat out spanking your opponent you can explain why the spanking is going on :lol:

I'm a little bit late to the conversation, but I really like this idea a lot. I'm not sure it's necessary to have a long time frame to take on anyone who comes on. Like Greg mentioned, there might not be enough users on and ready to go, and could create a lot of downtime waiting. I suggest to do it like his current blitz videos are, approximately 5 games against users in one video(maybe more if there are enough users interested,). This could be done once every month or something like that, and it would probably be 30 min or less. I think it would be valuable instruction, especially for the users involved. For the users who didnt get a chance to play it could be an instructive showing of how to beat opposition of the strength they likely play on a regular basis.

It would also guarantee some buys since the people involved will certainly pay. I used to watch a ton of your videos when they were all free. Now that they are ppv I still watch and "like" your free videos on youtube to show support, but due to financial issues am currently not able to buy ppv videos. However, I would definitely make a purchase of a video if I got a chance to play you and hear what you had to say during the game. So it might be a good way to increase customers too.

Sounds like a fun idea although my time is super limited (studying chess 24/7) so I'd have to really believe that there'd be a ton of participation and that it'd be worthwhile. Once a month is probably unrealistic though.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:14 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

tuggernongy wrote:
Having watched a large amount of your videos over the past few months, i would have to say the most instructive ones were the 'blind' analysis videos you did on the Anand - Topalov Match, where you didn't know the outcome and were analysing the game as you played through the moves yourself for the first time. Those are the sorts of video's i learn the most from, because you're taking the time to try and figure out everything that's going on in the position, and it encourages the viewer to do the same. That said, they obviously take more time than just simple 5 minute games, but hey, if you're being paid. :P

The 5 minute videos.... they're entertaining, yes, and there is some value to be gained from them, but honestly, it's more of an intellectual masturbation than anything else, with a few laughs and rants thrown in, i could get that sort of stimulation elsewhere, and while i appreciate the time you put into them, i'd be somewhat hesitant to pay for them. I realise there are others that feel different, and that are willing to motivate you with money to make those videos, so it will be going ahead regardless. All i ask is that you consider what's going to help your own development as a chess player; as we learn the most from those more knowledgable than us, i would thoroughly appreciate it if you'd share with us when you try and learn from those better than you, so that we may endeavor to do the same. :)

Looking forward to seeing the suggestions others have, and what sort of mixture of videos you eventually decide to produce for us. Hope you're enjoying the languages you're picking up.

You'd probably like my Solitaire Chess videos, since they are exactly what you describe liking.

Wed May 16, 2012 7:53 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Hello Curtains,

any idea when are you going to release your last tournament's videos?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
They have all been released: http://www.chessvideos.tv/wiki/index.ph ... ent_Videos

Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 am
Pawn

He mentioned that he would be playing one in europe at May 6th I believe. Maybe he did not?

Fri May 25, 2012 6:31 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

June 1-5

Fri May 25, 2012 12:03 pm
Pawn

oh ok, my mistake, Thanks and good luck!

Sat May 26, 2012 1:12 am
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Hi Curtains. I have a suggestion of Tal-Letelier 1963 for your solitaire series :)

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm
Wants a custom title

Would also love to see how you fare in standard tactics on chesstempo.com :) Once you break 2000-2100 the problems can be ridiculous hard, although you can solve them with or without the time limit (I'd recommend without for video purposes), it would be a fantastic insight to hear you calculating and get a feel for how a master player sights in on the themes, and your speed of calculation as well.

I've seen your old CTS videos, but the problems on CT are just much more 'realistic', as they are all pulled from actual games or variations that could have arisen in actual games.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I'm like 2400 on there. Am actually 2350 but was completely ridiculous my last puzzle because I found a freaking forced mate and it told me to find another answer and I was on tilt and just did something wrong. I think any line that gives you like +5 should always count as a solve no matter what. I shouldn't have to sit there wasting time finding another answer. Anyway my rating is provisional as hell though, I barely do them, only in lessons sometimes to solve together with my students...to kinda show them how I solve unfamiliar tactics.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 pm
Wants a custom title

Yea, they have a rule of +2.00 counts as an alt in most cases, unless there is a forced mate (something like that). I guess the idea, is to find the most efficient win as opposed to 'any' win, which can be frustrating on some problems. I had one the other day where I hit 3 alts on the second move, but failed the problem, cause I couldn't find the 'main line'. But that is a small minority of problems that that happens on. Your name on there is Curtains? I'll check out the problems you got served up :) Thanks for the reply.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ok but this one was freaking forced mate, not +2. That's why it was really annoying. The last one I played Qf8 instead of Qd6 at the very end and was just annoyed and didn't want to think anymore after it tells me that this isn't correct. I don't think it's worth my time to sit and scratch my head over a puzzle when I find a move that wins all of my opponent's pieces instantly. :)

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:43 pm
Wants a custom title

Yea, I see what you mean, 5. Qf8+ is either a mate in 8 or a win of everything. Surprised that would fail the problem! I guess I just don't run into that kind of thing getting problems in the lower end of the scale (1700-2000 stuff).

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

As an aside, I'd like more people to have the chance to enjoy my solitaire chess videos, but also they are a huge amount of work. Trying to figure out a pricing scheme that will result in more people watching, even if I get a few less viewers, as long as I get even reasonable compensation for the time. Any ideas?

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 pm
   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next