View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:49 pm

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Curtains video request thread 
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 Re: Curtains video request thread
One thing that comes to mind, might be to break them in to segments, with each segment having it's own pricing, so instead of say, 3 bucks or whatever for the whole vid, you could divide it into the 15 minute or whatever breaks, each with it's own pricing adding up the the amount you desire. Those who are unsure whether they want to spend the whole amount could watch the first part, you get some $$ you might otherwise had missed out on, and if they continue with the series, then it adds up to the full amount.

Another option, would be to base your pricing on the length of the video, say in increments of 10 min (each 10 min is additional credit or whatever), so that the more time you invest, the higher the return... maybe some combination of these ideas. If you had full statistics on your videos/credits/purchases/free views, you might be able to plug this into excel or some such and run a regression analysis on the information to find that X part where the return/time balances out etc.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 pm
Wants a custom title

What I mean, thinking in economic terms, is supply and demand. Supply in this case would be the duration of the video (time invested/cost) and demand being the # of purchases, you might find a diminishing return at some point, and decide to keep your video length/cost to certain limits, if that makes sense.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Right now I base it entirely on the length of the video. I'm thinking I should lower it, but only if it will definitely result in more people purchasing.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 pm
Wants a custom title

You have to think of it as marketing a product. The free samples are definitely a good move. Start with what kind of return you expect. You should have a good idea of your average # of buyers at this point. If you are expecting X dollars per hour for your work, then price the video accordingly. Take a look at advertising yourself on facebook where you have a zillion followers, at USCL somewhere, blogs, etc. Pull in customers, try to polish up the presentation, and I don't see why you couldn't reach your goals. Chess players are suckers for spending money on anything that they think will help them improve (with the exception of my broke ass!)

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 pm
Wants a custom title

How is your video pricing conundrum going?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:31 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2275
Rating Class: FIDE Master
The poker thing is gone then as a job? I do watch some videos at www.chess.com. I even got a free diamond membership because I am a CM. What happened to all the older free videos of Greg in here? Do one have to pay for them also? In my opinion the older videos should stay free. Great advertisement for the new paying ones? Or: I would like to pay a yearly fee to get access to all the new videos or the new and old ones instead of paying for each video. Usually one would also then get access to other videos by different authors like at chess.com. In addition I have membership at www.chesspublishing.com and I watch free videos of Chessexplained..

My main thing is that I am hesitant to purchase even one relatively cheap video but prefer to pay a larger sum for a period and then not having to worrying of paying any more for that period for all the videos but then just enoy the chess.. Could you also work e.g. as a trainer and other things? The advertisement value for making videos and getting even better known is also something. It depends what sum of products you make money from as a chess professional. I suspect though that you all in all won't make as much money as you want/need to on all the chess combined and will end up with alternative ways for a living.

Regards from Norway

Fri May 10, 2013 4:55 pm
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
I have a video request - make some videos! :I have 86 credits and nothing to spend them on :D

Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:59 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

crap 86....ok....do I need to charge for them, I made some free ones and hope to soon :)

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:08 pm
King

Well, don't feel compelled to charge for them if you don't want to! :D

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:29 am
Knight

FlintEastwood wrote:
I have a video request - make some videos! :I have 86 credits and nothing to spend them on :D

I've been going back and watching old videos that I hadn't seen before, just to spend credits, too.. Had 100 of them or so, bc I wanted to spend them on a tourney recap. Instead... Nothing

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 am
King

Yeah...but to be fair I wouldn't blame Greg. It's a bit of a responsibility to be the solve provider of content for the whole site. Really it should be down to the site owners who actually charge for credits, to be sure that there is new content to spend them on. Still I'm sure I'll spend them eventually so no biggie. But as you say I'd rather spend them on a tournament recap than older blitz games (many of which I've already seen).

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:11 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

The thing is I may end up doing many more videos, but there's a good chance I'll go away from the pay per view format and just make them all free. Can't figure it out yet. There might even be some live tourney games (running some online slow time control tourney in future, and considering making video during them)

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:22 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
The 40+ Lasker videos are mostly worth getting.

I'd pay 16 credits or whatever for recaps of the WC Matches as well as the most famous tournaments. Maybe focus on the WC matches where the title changed hands. There is not nearly as much interest in beatdowns such as Lasker vs. Janowski or Alekhine vs. Bogolyubov.

I know prepared videos are a lot of work. But they also have lasting value and sadly no other big video producer (Chessbase, ICC, etc) is doing them. Jesse Kraai did a series on Tal-Botvinnik 1960 which was extremely well-done. But such series are rare. I'd like to see a recap of, say, the two Spassky-Petrosian matches or something.

EDIT:
maybe start a donation fund, and when it hits a certain amount, you can make a free video? aka, crowd-funding... Kickstarter works like that, sorta.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I just made one free video and another coming tomorrow :) or today...or something :)

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:12 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

The WC match series...the things about them....they are just a lot of work and not super fun. Looking over the games is fun at my own pace, but the creation of the video isn't, and the amount of people paying is just not enough to make it worth it for me to constantly put together videos that I don't find super enjoyable.

Sorry I've been slacking on the blitz, making it up for it by making everything free lately, although I know that bugs the people who actually have credits.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 pm
   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next