View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:15 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
IMPORTANT: Do not post videos w/o permission of creator 
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
 IMPORTANT: Do not post videos w/o permission of creator
I just want to make it clear that under no circumstances are people allowed to post material they do not own the rights to or have permission from the owner of those rights to post.

Please, please, do not do that. We may have to take action like banning or preventing from uploading future videos. If we get sued for copyright infringement that's the end of chessvideos.tv, so don't ruin it for everyone else.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:05 pm
Knight

Are these general rules or do I need to contact someone before uploading a game.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:22 pm
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
 Re: IMPORTANT: Do not post videos w/o permission of creator
could we use our own chessbase? or what about playing under icc.i know i spoke to the marketing director of the icc and he did not mention any concerns of me doing videos on my account there. Now if i am training on my own using chessbase, i imagine i could do this too??

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:08 am
King

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
It raises an interesting point, can you copyright a game of chess? If you take a book and what is written and then claim it as your own I can see the problem, as that is plagiarism, but if you wanted to show a game you see on Fritz and want to share with others, who owns the rights to that?

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:50 am
King

Rating: 1850
Frenchie501 wrote:
It raises an interesting point, can you copyright a game of chess? If you take a book and what is written and then claim it as your own I can see the problem, as that is plagiarism, but if you wanted to show a game you see on Fritz and want to share with others, who owns the rights to that?

Thats too deep to any forum, intelectual property and our rights to it, basically what anyone is claiming writter/painter/chess player, is I have a "vision" they grab it and then they claim no one can ever again have the same image and grab it since they got it first :) As for the forum I think theres no problem in using any program to do the videos if they are "your own" except if you do something like explaining how to crack any software, that could be complicated for the website :) There is a free movie about this subject you can grab it here http://www.stealthisfilm.com/Part2/ In the movie we see interviews with google staff, MPAA, even pirate bay and mininova founders are there great stuff :)

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:50 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Frenchie501 wrote:
It raises an interesting point, can you copyright a game of chess?

Any game score I think is public record (or at most belongs to the tournament it was held at) however any ANNOTATIONS of the game definitely fall under standard copyright laws. So you can use the game, but only your ideas. Of course, your ideas can be borrowed from other sources if you make sure to say where you got them and don't use too much of them. (reading it word for word is obviously bad :-) )

This is how I understand it at least.

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:44 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Robofriven wrote:
Frenchie501 wrote:
It raises an interesting point, can you copyright a game of chess?

Any game score I think is public record (or at most belongs to the tournament it was held at) however any ANNOTATIONS of the game definitely fall under standard copyright laws. So you can use the game, but only your ideas. Of course, your ideas can be borrowed from other sources if you make sure to say where you got them and don't use too much of them. (reading it word for word is obviously bad :-) )

This is how I understand it at least.

It's been some years since i took Copyright Law (my highest grade in law school), but i can tell you that Copyright law protects the _expression_ of ideas, not the underlying ideas themselves. Variations themselves are not copyrightable, even if you are the first person ever to think of (or publish) a queen sac on move 18 in the Ruy Lopez. Such a queen sac would be an /idea/, and protection would be limited to the particular expression of that idea, meaning the author's particular wording or "selection & arrangement". In the context of chess notation, the idea of a queen sac on g7 is "merged" with the expression "Qxg7", so under the merger doctrine chess notation such as "Qxg7" should not be protectible by copyright. Text annotations on the other hand, are totally copyrightable. Even editorial markings like +- !? ? are protected to some extent because these are expressions of opinions rather than ideas.

Thin copyright protection extends basically only to the "selection and arrangement" of variations and to the author's annotations. (Much like a Fodor's travel guide or history textbook-- I could change the wording, change the selection & arrangement and then publish with impunity using no other source material.)

You can't copyright a chess game for the same reason you can't copyright a basketball box score, or a minimalist accounting of events that transpired-- one could only attempt to copyright the particular wording/"expression" or the "selection and arrangement".... blah blah blah... :roll:

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:15 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Thanks for the clarification Katar.

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:46 pm
   [ 8 posts ]