View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:33 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
Cazzeo - Progressive Chess 5: Defense [47:15] 
Video Manager

Cazzeo - Progressive Chess 5: Defense [47:15]
Poster: Cazzeo
Name: Doug Hyatt
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 68
FIDE Rating: 2061
World Rank: 47210
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (5)

Video Tags: chess variants progressive chess

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Fox

Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:27 pm
Knight

Rating: 1900
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: Cazzeo - Progressive Chess 5: Defense [47:15]
I fiend this type of chess fascinating! This type of chess takes a very different type of thought proses and pattern recognition, at least for me. Im not used to seeing an ideal position for my pieces to acheave a checkmate in regular chess... well atleast not in this manner were piece are cutting off pawns and promotions are flying though the board!

So i guess an important question is, does improving or adding new types of thought processes to your chess brain improve your ability in normal chess? I know "thought processes" is abit general and confusing but, what i mean is in regular chess at least for me there are things that i dont think about, and cant rely develop playing only regular chess. So does playing different chess variants improve or confuse your regular chess thoughts?

I dont understand how there are no comments! This is probably because chess variants arent that popular for the reason people arent really for change?? who knows lol?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:35 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Light wrote:
I dont understand how there are no comments! This is probably because chess variants arent that popular for the reason people arent really for change?? who knows lol?

Oh, I have only commented on one of them, but I want to clarify that I'm really enjoying them (5 pawns + ''like'' every time) and I can hardly wait for new videos !

Also, I'm looking forward to telling my friends at my local club about progressive chess.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:14 pm
Knight

Rating: 2129USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Progressive chess seems to appeal to chess players moreso than other variants, probably because it uses basically the same rules, just with extra moves attached. Variants like atomic chess and giveaway chess don't really resemble chess at all, etc.

Having said that, I don't think progressive chess would help your regular chess game much. I think it appeals to the chess problem solving type of brain, though. You can spend hours and hours trying to find that perfect series when playing this game in correspondence/email/etc. And trying to "solve" the game is a lot of fun.

At any rate, I'm glad people are enjoying the videos!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:41 pm
   [ 4 posts ]