View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:48 pm

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
BigTy's Training Log 
Rook

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 BigTy's Training Log
Hey everyone. After much deliberation I decided to start one of these training journals for the first time. I will mostly be using it to post games that I play online; in which any feedback would be appreciated.

I have been playing too much blitz for too long, so right now my goal is to play at least one 15-30 minute game per day on FICS, or chess.com, briefly annotate it without a computer (unless there are gross blunders early in the game), and then post it here for feedback. I will also be trying to get back into doing long chesstempo problems, rather than blitz problems, as I need to work on deep calculation. The only problem is that they sometimes take me more than half an hour each. I may even post interesting tactics problems that I come across in this thread.

I probably won't be able to refrain from playing blitz, especially since my openings all need a lot of work, and it allows me to play a lot of games and look quickly at the lines after. So expect to see the odd 5-minute game posted in this thread.

So my routine basically consists of at least one 15-30 minute game per day, a few tough chess tempo problems, and a few blitz games here and there. I am also currently reading Silman's new Reassess your Chess book (4th ed), as well as opening books on the french (I'm very new to it), and 1.d4 as white.

Here are some short-term goals, hopefully having this journal will help me carry them out:
-get above 2100 standard on FICS.
-get above 2200 in 5 minute blitz on ChessCube.
-begin doing long tactics problems again on chesstempo and stay above 2200 standard.
-Finish Silman's book.
-Learn the French, Nimzo-Indian, and Bogo-Indian as black.
-Fix huge holes in my white repertoire, and learn some basic responses to minor lines (Budapest gambit, snake benoni, etc).
-Fix up Leningrad dutch repertoire as black.

We will see how many of these goals I am able to accomplish by the end of the year. Feedback is appreciated, so don't be shy! Cheers.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:53 am
Rook

Re: BigTy's Training Log
Had a couple of opening disasters from today, I was worse in both games but managed to get a draw in one of them. Here is a loss, and an example of how not to play the french:

Here are some comments, but if someone could tell me how to put them into the game replayer, that would be appreciated.

9. Bb2 Be7 10. Bd3 a5 Is the only line I was ready for. It leads to interesting play for both sides, but I quite like
black's position.

9... Bd7 Is much better, but I did not remember what to do during the game. I did not really want to take on e3, so I
played 9...Be7 with the idea of swinging my knight to h4 if white plays g4. 9..
.Bd7 clears the c-file and sets up some interesting tactical lines, example: 10. Bd3 (
10. Nc3 ? Nxe3 11. fxe3 Nxb4 12. axb4 Bxb4 13. Rc1 Rc8 14. Qb3 Qa5 15. Kd2 O-O
16. Bd3 f6 With an initiative and great compensation for black, Moskalenko, 2009)
Nxe3 11. fxe3 Rc8 12. O-O Be7 13. Nbd2 Nd8 14. Qe2 Rc3 Is given by Moskalenko,
but I am not sure that I like opening the f-file for white.

10... h6 is a waste of time. This is only good if my opponent takes on f5 right away, but
he did not.

18... Qb7? A big blunder, but white was much better in any case.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:55 pm
Rook

Overall I played like rubbish today, both in blitz and in standard. Sadly I often feel as though I make more stupid mistakes in standard than in blitz. It could just be that my opponents fail to take advantage of my blitz mistakes, but either way, I need to get used to 15 minute games again. Here is an interesting 5-minute game that I just played; probably the only good one of the night. The opening was weird, and likely better for black, yet I feel that my king walk over to the queenside was strategically justified because I got to attack black's king and attack his pawn chain. I have faced this opening a few times in blitz, but haven't bothered to look it up yet. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Comments:

3.e4 e5 4.Bb5+ may be the a good way to take advantage of black's move order. I automatically played 3.c4 during the game because I am used to playing c4 before e4 in benoni structures. This line may be an exception though.

14.Qf1 is probably more accurate, because in the game black could have played 14...Bh3, when the white queen has trouble getting to the g-file.

22...bxc4 23.fxe5 Qxe5 is probably better for black. Instead of 22...exf4, after which black is lost.

38.Bh6+ leads to mate in 8 moves.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 pm
Rook

Most of my 15 minute games I played over the last few days have been rubbish, so I didn't bother posting them. Here is one from yesterday in which I felt I played alright, against a slightly higher rated opponent. I accidentally dropped a pawn, which basically threw away my advantage. However, I felt like I had some compensation because of his weakened kingside and worse minor pieces. Here is the game:

Comments:

The opening is weird, although I have seen it in online blitz games more than I would like to admit. White should be better after 3.cxd5, no matter what black does, because white gets a much better center. My opponent basically transposed into an Exchange Gruenfeld where ...Nb6 was played, instead of ...Nxc3. Because of this, white's center is tougher to attack, and therefore black should not be able to equalize. I did not even bother looking up past games in this line, as white's play seems quite easy and straight forward. I am not sure my set-up against it was optimal, but in the game it seemed to work out well for me.

10.b3 keeps black pieces out of c4. Black's space disadvantage and lack of pawns in the center make his position look uncomfortable IMO.

11.Qc2 puts the queen on a diagonal where she will help support the f4-f5 break, and clears d1 for a rook, which may prepare an eventual d5 break in some positions.

13.h3 prepares f4-f5 without allowing black pieces to come to g4. Black is cramped, so I want to avoid piece exchanges.

14.f4? is a blunder, which my opponent did not make use of. I saw the move 14...Bxh3 in the game, and had planned to follow up with 15.gxh3 Qxh3 16.Bc1 Ng4 and then move my knight somewhere and defend the h2 square with my queen. The problem is that the knight has no where to go, so I have to play 17.Rf2 which results in a winning position for black after 17...Nxf2 18.Kxf2 Rxd4! I believe my opponent thought about the sac for a while, as he was thinking about something, but in the end he did not play it. The f4 break clearly needed more preparation, and I need to stop making trivial tactical errors in 15 minute games...

14...Bd7? Provokes my next move, as it takes away a square from the knight.

15. a4! Gaining queenside space. if 15...a5? then 16.d5! forces black to play 16...c5, after which the c5 pawn is weak, and white has a dominating position in the center and on the queenside because of the space advantage.

17.e5 is a good move. I wanted to exchange on d5, take the c-file for my own rook, make black's bishops look bad, and prepare the f5 break. This move accomplishes that.

22.Nc3 threatens Na4-b6, after which black would be in big trouble positionally.

24.f6? loses a pawn, though I think it is the right idea. After 24.Re1, preparing f6, white's advantage is indisputable.

Another simple tactic missed. I can play 28.Bxd8, because if 28...Bxd4? then 29.Qxd4! making use of the pin.

31.Nd1 is the beginning of a long maneuver, either to the weakened e5 or f6 squares. White probably does not have full compensation here. At this point time trouble was becoming a factor for both sides, so the rest of the game needs no comments as the mistakes are many. I do not think I should have won, though he blundered near the end, giving me a winning R+P endgame.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:27 am
Rook

Nearly everyone keeps playing the exchange french against me, especially in blitz, so I am rather annoyed. I guess I need to stop playing people weaker than me, or look for ways to make it exciting without compromising my position... Anyways, I was excited to get to play the Winawer for like the 4th time ever, although it was a 5-minute game. My opponent did not play too well in the opening, wasting a tempo early in the game. I played the Black Queen Blues variation, which you can see in some of Zibbit's 5-minute blitz videos. I really like this variation for black. It is one of the reasons I started playing the french. In this variation, white's king often comes under fire on the kingside, while black's is safe on the opposite side of the board.

Comments:

8.Be3? is pretty much useless.

16.g4?! White obviously underestimated my attacking chances on the kingside. He voluntarily opens his king position, starting with this move, and later capturing with the same pawn.

16...g5 This might not be correct, but I felt as though the kingside play would be worth more than the fractured pawns.

20...h5 Offering a pawn in exchange for the f5 square. I like black's position if white accepts the pawn. I certainly believe in the compensation, even if the attack fizzles out.

23.Rb2? This looks quite bad, because this rook cannot aid in the defense. 23.Rc1 looks better.

25.gxh5? This looks very dangerous with the Rook on b2, unable to defend the king.

33...Nxe3 may be the strongest, as white is pretty much a rook down regarding the defense of his king. I did not have a lot of time and did not want to calculate, so I kept the knight because it is much better than white's bishop.

I probably could have prevented white's king from getting to g6, and winning my knight. I was in time trouble, however, and knew that I would have enough pawns to win.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:57 pm
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:01 pm
Rook

Its been a while since I posted a game. Not much has changed, I am still playing like rubbish in 15 minute chess, especially on FICS. It seems that every game in which I get white, I end up playing against some weird opening sideline. Even more annoying, whenever I try to punish these sidelines I seem to end up worse! This just shows how well I really understand 1.d4.... Opening with 1.d4 has greatly increased my results in blitz, because I usually do not have to worry about getting crushed because I do not remember 15+ moves of precise theory, as would happen when I played 1.e4. On the other hand, my results in 15-minute or longer games seem to be worse, which tempts me to switch back to 1.e4. I certainly miss the Ruy Lopez, and I would like to start playing both sides of the french so that I can learn it really well. Perhaps I am just rusty at 15 minute games, but I am playing much worse than I was a year ago in 15 minute and much better in 5 minute, so I am not sure what to say...

Regarding my goals, I got to 2203 on one of my chesscube accounts, but my rating is certainly going to go down. If I can maintain 2200+ on that web site by the end of the year that would be great. I still cannot decide if I want to stick with the dutch or really spend a lot of time on the NID/BID combo. I think I will just keep playing the dutch in longer games, because at least I know a bit about it. I got above 2400 on chesstempo, but my RD is around 170 or something, so every time I do a problem my rating adjusts by like 70+ points. My goal is to do enough problems on the site to be considered active, while maintaining 2200+ rating. I am also working a bit, so I do not have time to play or solve puzzles every day. My goals will remain the same, however.

Here is a poorly played game from today. My opponent made an unsound piece sac, yet I still lost. Games like this are another reason I am getting annoyed with 1.d4. In many lines white leaves the king in the center for a while, which can lead to trouble!

Comments:

8.b4?! is stupid. White should just develop the bishop to f4 or g5.

13...e4? is unsound.

20.Qd2?! is the beginning of the end. 20.Bc4! is much better. I was afraid of my king's position, but after 20...dxe3 21.fxe3 Qh4+ 22.Kf1, white has a lot of defensive resources. The position is still tough to play in a 15 minute game of course.

21.Rb3?? is a losing move. 21.Bd3 was probably best, but after 21....dxe3 22.Qe2 exf2+ the position is tough to play in a fast game. I am not sure if white is even better at this point.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
BigTy wrote:
I still cannot decide if I want to stick with the dutch or really spend a lot of time on the NID/BID combo. I think I will just keep playing the dutch in longer games, because at least I know a bit about it.
In many lines white leaves the king in the center for a while, which can lead to trouble!

I see you specialize in Leningrad Dutch, but Classical Dutch in particular has a fair amount in common with the Nimzo-Indian, and i think there is a lot of transferable knowledge. For example in the Classical Dutch if White goes into a Samisch/QG setup with c4 d4 e3 f3, Nge2, Black goes Bb4 and Bb7 and gets a really great Nimzo type setup.

I agree with you about the slow development in the Qc2 Nimzo, which is why i went with the e3 Nimzo, and published on it here:
http://katar.weebly.com/2/post/2011/03/ ... sited.html

Oh and BTW, there is no way to put comments in the CVtv replaayer.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:25 pm
Rook

Thanks Katar. I will be sure to look at your e3 Nimzo e-book, and the rest of your website as well. I like the mainlines of the Qc2 Nimzo, but black has so many decent sidelines, so maybe I should try 4.e3.

I have thought about the classical dutch, as it goes well with the french (1...e6 move order). It just seems kind of passive for my taste; and I figure that if black is going to play a risky opening like the dutch, then he might as well play as dynamically as possible, hence the Leningrad. I will keep it in mind though. Right now I am kind of in a moratorium regarding my openings. The only thing I know for sure is that I want to keep playing the french. I am considering going back to 1.e4, although when I think about all the theory I used to struggle with I figure I should just learn 1.d4 better. Also, I am tempted at times to give the semi-slav another try with black, but that is another theoretical monster that is a huge pain to learn.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:40 pm
Rook

Another 15-minute game on FICS, another loss. This is starting to get depressing because I do not remember the last time my standard rating was this low. I guess it doesn't help that a lot of my opponents are 2100+, but to improve you have to challenge yourself right? Maybe I should beat up on the sub-1900 crowd for a while to get my rating back up over 2000.... Anyways, here is the game.

Comments:

Avrukh (2010) labels 11...Qb6 as dubious. While I agree that the queen is better placed on a5, I am not sure this move is as bad as he says. The Queen adds pressure down the b-file, which makes black's threat of ...c4 at the right moment more annoying, if white is careless enough to allow it.

I have seen this 13...Ne8 move at least twice before, even though it is not that popular in the database. Avrukh doesn't mention it, but perhaps he should because white's play does not seem that obvious. After looking at this line with fritz I am still not really sure what the best way to proceed is. Black adds pressure to the d5 pawn by maneuvering the knight to c7, while at the same time pressuring e2 because of the threat of ...Bxc3 followed by ...Bxe2.

14.Nd2 is a rather strange move, but it made sense at the time. I found one game where this move was played, by none other then Korchnoi, so maybe it is alright. The normal move is 14.Bb2, which is probably best. For some reason I was afraid of 14...c4, because this move is often dangerous in situations where white cannot respond with b4. After 15.Ba1 cxb3 16.Rxb3 white's extra pawn is isolated, but who is to say it isn't still dangerous? This line also allows white to swap a pair of rooks and relieve a bit of pressure. I am not sure if this is bad for black but I could not find a game where 14...c4 was played after 14.Bb2.

The idea of 14.Nd2 is to discourage ...c4, and at the same time allow white to answer 14...Bxc3 15.Qxc3 Bxe2 with 16.Re1, though after 16...Qa6, which I missed during the game, it is not clear if white is getting the e7 pawn.

19.a4?! looks dubious, because it allows black to use b4 as an outpost, and pile up on the backwards b3 pawn. White should probably play 19.Rb2 instead, in order to recapture on c4 with the queen, while keeping the pawns connected. Black has a lot of pressure down the queenside files though, and it is not clear to me if white's extra pawn is going to get him very far. At least white is not worse though.

Trying to defend the b3 pawn with heavy pieces was a useless plan. I should have sacked it in order to get my rooks behind the a-pawn and push it.

24...Nb6 may be even stronger, but as I mentioned - and subsequently missed at this point in the game - ...c4 from black at the right moment can be very strong.

25.e4? just creates more targets for black.

29.a6? is a blunder, after which my queen is trapped. The position is losing for white anyway. I would have to sac an exchange with 30.Rc1 to get my queen out, so I just resigned instead.

I like this variation against the benko, and have had good results in blitz with it so far. It is easy to go wrong though, and much care is needed to consolidate the white position.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:15 am
Pawn

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
how beautiful is the Benko gambit!

as a Benko player, I find more annoying the declined lines with 5.b6

good game though!

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:35 am
Rook

I finally won a 15-minute game on FICS. I've been doing good in FICS blitz too; almost back up to 1800. This game was poorly played by my opponent throughout, but the way I've been playing lately, I am happy with a win no matter how easy it was.

Comments:

4.g6?! is the only line in which I will play an exchange slav, as the bishop seems rather misplaced on g7, where it bites against white's solid pawn chain. If black can get in ...e5 with the bishop on g7, he would probably get a good game. It is not so easy though.

9.Be2 is the first new move. Perhaps 9.Qb3, immediately trying to punish black's early bishop move is more accurate.

12.g4 is a good alternative. Black's bishop is really badly placed in this structure, and after this move his best option would probably be to sac it or the knight for two pawns (12...Be4?! 13.Nd2!).

12.Qb6? cannot be good here. Black's potential a-file activity can be easily neutralized, and his queenside pawns are very weak. White is much better after this move. I was expecting 12...Na5, after which I am not sure what I would do. I can always go back to the g4 plan, winning material. I missed it during the game though.

I was too fixated on black's queenside pawns, and missed the obvious 15.g4, winning.

Black is busted after 20...Bxf5?? (he had to swap on d4), but his position was close to losing regardless of this blunder.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:28 pm
Rook

Had a good 15-minute game against the Gruenfeld tonight. I was fortunate that my opponent did not pick one of the most theoretical lines, because I do not know the theory of this variation very well yet. I do like the positions that white gets, I just wish that this variation was not as worked out as it is. Anyways, here is the game:

Comments:

I rarely see this 9...b6!? move. My opponent played a rare continuation on move 10. Normal is 10...Bb7 11.Qd3 Ba6 (or 11...e6) and after that my knowledge runs out.

In the few games that have been played 11.Bg5 scores very well for white, whereas my move (11.Be3) scores better for black. There are not many games after 10...Qc7 though, so I doubt that 11.Be3 is a bad move.

16.Nxe5 Bxe5 17.f4 Bg7 18.f5!? crossed my mind. I am not sure if white gets attacking chances here or not. I did not play this continuation because I wanted to play in the center and try to use my passed d-pawn to good effect.

While I believe that 18.Ng5, heading for e4 is a good plan, it might have been stronger to throw in 18.Rad1 first. This encourages black to blockade the pawn by putting a piece on d6. After this, 19.Ng5 threatens to come to e4 with tempo. I liked having the rook on b1 though, as it is in line with black's bishop and helps to discourage him from playing a6/b5 plans.

24..Rxd5? is a losing move. Black should play 24...Rf8, when the position is probably drawn with best play after 25.Qe2. I would have lost on time though, so I was lucky that he blundered.

25.g3! is the only winning move for white. Black is in huge trouble because there are so many threats. His best try is to play an endgame a piece down after 25...Bf8. Everything else leads to huge material losses or mate.

I may analyze this game some more in the future as 20...Nxc5 appears to be fine for black (see 24...Rf8). Perhaps 11.Bg5 just leads to a better set-up for white.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:28 pm
Rook

Time to get serious...
Okay, so as many of you may have noticed, I have fallen off the bandwagon for a month or so. I was working hard and was usually too tired or lazy to play after work, and did not bother updating this training log with any games; mostly because they were 5-minute blitz garbage games. I am not working very much right now, and I have therefore decided to start taking chess seriously again!

First of all, I need to stop playing blitz. It just seems to be making me worse. In order to improve I need time to think, and to briefly analyze the games after they are played. Therefore all my online games will be between 15 and 30 minutes; easier said than done...

Second of all, I need to stop being so bipolar about my openings! I have been switching back and forth from e4 to d4 for the last month or so, and I have mixed feelings about both. The problem with 1.e4 is that there is just so much theory in the mainlines, and learning it all does not seem practical for a non-professional player. Also, there are a lot of openings I do not like playing against after 1.e4, such as the Scandinavian, Alekhine's, or Caro-Kann, the petroff, and others. On the other hand, there are positions that I really miss, such as many that arise from the Open Sicilian, or the Ruy Lopez. Another benefit to 1.e4 is that I would be learning a greater variety of positions and pawn structures than if I play 1.d4.

Nevertheless, I have decided to stick with 1.d4, at least for a few more years. I have not even been playing it for a year yet, so I feel like I need to give myself more of a chance to learn and understand openings and pawn structures that I do not yet know very much about. Even though I often find the positions less straight forward in terms of plans than I do when I played 1.e4, 1.d4 has much less theory (but still a lot), and therefore it is considerably less work to learn and maintain a repertoire based on mainlines with 1.d4. Also, I like the fact that most players are better prepared for 1.e4 than 1.d4 at my level, because 1.e4 is played probably twice as much. So yeah, I will stick it out with 1.d4, even though I know there will be times when I want to switch openings really bad. The important thing to remember is that no matter what opening you play, there will always be lines that you do not like. Fortunately, I think 1.d4 has less of those lines than 1.e4 does.

As black things have changed a bit too. I reverted back to the semi-slav as my main weapon against 1.d4. I played this a year ago, but got fed up with some of the sharp, mega theory lines and quit. I will make a better attempt to learn it this time. The leningrad dutch will be my backup; it is good for lower rated players, or against players who like to make the game boring by playing stuff like the london system. There are some lines in that opening that I have completely forgotten though, so I will need to brush up.

Against 1.e4 I am still playing and learning the french, with mixed results. I get the exchange variation way too often for my taste, but hopefully that will change once I stop playing blitz. The french seems quite manageable at my level, in terms of theory that you actually have to have memorized. Therefore, I will learn multiple lines against white's main moves, especially in the Winawer. I have also taken an interest in the caro-kann lately, and will slowly start playing it in some of my games. I need to learn it from scratch though, as my only experience is on the white side of it. I always hated it as white, so that seems like a good reason to play it as black. It also looks very solid and reliable, yet imbalanced enough to give decent winning chances. I will give it a try sometime soon.

I have tried to create a fairly flexible training routine, since I am sometimes really busy with other stuff, and sometimes not. College is coming up next month, but I am not taking a full course load so I think this will be manageable. Here it is:

Monday: 1+ game, 15-30 minutes, plus analysis***
1 hour chess blitz tactics training (chesstempo)
1-3 hours opening study: Queens gambit (white)

Tuesday:***
1 hour chess standard tactics training (chesstempo)
1-3 hours opening study: French or Caro (black)

Wednesday:***
2-5 hours of strategy or endgame study

Thursday:***
1 hour chess blitz tactics training (chesstempo)
1-3 hours opening study: KID, Gruenfeld, or NID (white)

Friday:***
1 hour chess standard tactics training (chesstempo)
1-3 hours opening study: Black vs everything apart from 1.e4 (semi-slav, dutch)

Saturday:***
2-5 hours of strategy or endgame study

Sunday:***
1 hour blitz tactics training (chesstempo)
1-3 hours opening study: Less common responses to 1.d4, such as dutch or benko gambit (white)

I may not get a chance to study or do tactics every day if I am busy, but I will at least try to play 1 game and analyze it. Not all games will be posted here though, but I will try to post a few per week for feedback.

Opening study, as well as strategy and endgame study will mostly be done with books, but some of the videos on this website may count towards it as well.

Blitz tactics on chesstempo are not really blitz; more like rapid as they often take me 3-5 minutes or more to solve. I am going to stay away from the chess tactics server because it is too fast, and like blitz chess, does not really do anything for me.

Later on today I will post my current ratings on sites I play and on chesstempo. Each week I will update them to keep progress. I hope to break some personal bests by the end of the year.

Cheers.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:09 pm
Rook

Okay so here are my current standard ratings on different places I play:

FICS: 1992 (best: 2083, over a year ago)

Chess.com: 1775 (best: 1819)

Chesscube: After losing close to 100 points in a blitz frenzy, I decided to use one of my accounts for standard games. I am currently 2039, and have no idea where it will go from there since my rating before was almost entirely based on 5 minute games. I played two 1900ish players today in 15 minute games and was winning both games, even though one managed to get a draw. So I think my rating will not drop too much more.

Chesstempo: Standard: 2436.8 (inactive RD); blitz: 1942.1, I've been stuck around this level forever and it would be nice to get over 2000.

I will update these every week or two to see if I am making progress.

Here is that draw from today; I was low on time and ended up getting my king stuck on the edge of the board. I then ran out of time and my opponent had no mating material. I do not want to analyze it much, as it seemed like black was better for most of the game. Here it is:

I have no idea what was going on in the opening, I will take a closer look later. Two bishops is nice though :D.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:30 pm
   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next