View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 pm

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
BigTy's Training Log 
Rook

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: BigTy's Training Log
Last night I played 4 games on FICS, and lost all four of them (!!) which resulted in me dropping below 2000 again on FICS. Oh well, everyone has bad days. All four games are worth a look, so here they are:

I have been trying this 4.e3 Nimzo lately, instead of 4.Qc2 but I still do not know most of the theory that I need to know. It seems like I can get a playable position without knowing a lot, but so far I have rarely created many problems for black.

I had never seen 7.Bd6 before this game. I thought about playing 7.c5, which is indeed the most popular move, but decided to keep some tension in the center instead. Usually I prefer keeping the tension when I am not sure what to do.

It turns out that 12...a5 was the first new move, and it looks pretty logical. I doubt white has many prospects for an edge here, but his position is playable.

Around move 20 or so, I had no idea what my plan should be. If anyone has a good suggestion, please let me know.

29.Nd6?? losses a piece for basically nothing, and is pretty embarrassing. 29.Nc3 is what I should have played, aiming to put the knight on a4, where it would pressure b6 in conjunction with a bishop on d4. The rest of the game needs no comment.

In this next game, I lost to a lower rated player in an opening that I usually do well against: The Botvinnik semi-slav.

15....b4 is extremely rare. Almost always both sides castle first. I think I already went wrong on the very next move by treating the position as if it were going to transpose to the mainlines where black castles. Who says black has to castle at all though?

15.Na4 probably is wrong here. The most popular move in the database is 15.0-0, sacking the knight on c3 for a good initiative and a good score. I will probably try this if I ever face this line again. Usually black declines the piece sac with 15...0-0-0, transposing back to the mainline.

I thought that black's central pawn mass would be vulnerable after the queen exchange, but I missed the fact that his king can just walk to c6 and defend everything. The rest was downhill.

The next game is my third online game ever playing the Caro-Kann. I am not very well versed in the theory, but that is no excuse for how I played in this game.

This 12.c3 move was unknown to me prior to this game. Retreating the bishop is much more common for white.

13...Nxh5 is just a free pawn for black. Why didn't I take it? Well, I am not yet used to positions where my opponent has a weak pawn on h5 so early in the game, and therefore did not even notice that it was hanging. The check on d6 is nothing, and black is just better after taking h5, although white has a bit of compensation. Instead I played a series of bad moves and quickly got mated.

15...Qb6?! is stupid. Why not just trade queens with an equal position? Moving the queen allows white to castle long and build his initiative faster.

White is winning after 23.h6! I guess I was hoping for 23.Bxg5? when 23...Nxc3! wins for black. I did not get a chance to play that move though as white's attack never stopped.

This game is a good example of how NOT to play the Caro-Kann.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:01 pm
Rook

This was the last game of the night, and the only one that is worth looking at in depth. I screwed up the opening/early middlegame and ended up sacking an exchange for some positional compensation. Black sacked the exchange back because he was cramped and then I got into trouble and lost a piece. Black accidently blundered it back later, but I was so low on time by then that I lost.

The king's knight often goes to e1 in this opening, but according to Avrukh (2010) 15.Nh4 is correct here. Play usually continues 15...Qb7 16.Rfd1 Nfxd5 17.Nxd5 Nxd5 18.Bh6! Bxh6 19.Bxd5 Qc8 20.Nxg6, after which white stands somewhat better.

I was worried after 17...c4 and decided to sack an exchange. Maybe white can hold on after 18.bxc4 Nxc4 19.Rxb8 Rxb8 20.Rb1 Rc8 21.Nb4, but the position looks fragile. This may have been the best choice, although the exchange sac probably isn't so bad.

21.Na6 would have won the exchange back, but I missed it.

Black's ...Ng4 lunge was probably dubious. I missed 24.Bxg4 fxg4 25.Be3 which appears to win the knight on b6.

26.exf5? lead to trouble because black wins a piece by force. Better was either 26.Rc1 or 26.Bxg4. I prefer white in both of those lines.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:34 pm
Rook

I just got outplayed in an exchange Slav Against a 2200+ on FICS. He basically just played normal moves, let me screw up, and then used his extra pawn and dominant position to win easily. I have had similar experiences when playing lower rated players. Letting your opponent lose the game rather than trying to win it can be effective. It was effortless on his part and poorly played by me. It was a 20 minute game. I really need to work on my response to 1.d4 as I apparently do not even know what to do on the black side of an exchange Slav.

Of course 8...Bd6 is the easiest way to equalize, but I wanted to keep more pieces on and try to make the game interesting.

12...Qa5?! is a waste of time, but I was not very familiar with these types of positions and couldn't find a plan. Black should consider playing a6+b5, or perhaps even better is Nd7-b6, taking aim at c4. A combination of the two might even be possible. I was worried about white playing Na4-c5, but black can neutralize that with Ne4. White's Na4-c5 plan does not appear dangerous unless he has already played a3+b4.

Playing a6+b5 with white's rooks doubled on the c-file was not a good idea. After 16.Ne5! white has all kinds of tactics revolving around Nxd5, which I could not figure out how to avoid. It turns out that the only way to avoid them is with 16...Na7, but white is much better because all of his pieces are better placed than black's. My move resulted in the loss of a pawn and a losing position because of white's much more active pieces. The rest of the game was poorly played by me but hopeless anyway.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:06 pm
Rook

Went on a blitz frenzy yesterday (an addiction that I've tried over and over to quit) and lost most of my games. It seems like since I cut way back on blitz I've gotten worse, and a lot slower. Got a quick checkmate against the Gruenfeld though, so I thought I would post it here:

12...Nb8?! is dubious. The main move is 12...Na5 when play continues 13.h5 Bg4 14.Ng5 Bxe2 15.Kxe2 with dangerous compensation for white.

13...h5? I am not completely sure, but black might be lost after this. There are different ways black can try to defend his king here. A better line for black is 13...e6 14.h5 Qf6 15.hxg6 hxg6 16.e5 Qg7 but white still has a large advantage.

17.Ng5 leads to mate, but somehow I missed it.

17...Nf6 and black is still alive. I would definitely prefer white though. Instead my opponent's move allows forced mate.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:15 am
Rook

I got to try the Black Queen Blues variation of the Winawer this morning in a 15 minute game. White's 9th move seems testing and I was not sure how to proceed, but ended up getting a good position anyway. I eventually had a winning position but lost on time (as usual).

Black has several ways to play the position after 8.Nf3. He can play 8...c4 and follow up with Bd7 and 0-0-0 and later try to open the kingside. 9...b6 to swap off the light-squared bishops is another good option. The option I chose puts pressure on d4 and provokes white's next move, but my knowledge ran out after he captured on c5. For more on the set-up with ...c4 and long castling see some of my previous games in this journal or some of Zibbit's videos.

I was fairly confident that white's tripled pawns would not be a threat, even with a pawn up. White does have a very good score in this variation though, so maybe playing a different move on move 8 with black is a good idea. I did not get into serious trouble in this game though, at least not in the opening.

I could have regained the pawn with 9...Qe4+ but after 10.Be3 Nxe5 11.Nxe5 Qxe5 12.Qe5 the ending looks more pleasant for white because of the bishop pair, slight development lead, space, and black's bad bishop on c8.

9...f6 has been played the most often in the database, and white scores very well after 10.Nd4 Nxd4 11.cxd4 Qxd4 12.Bb5+ Kf7 13.0-0 Qxe5. But is his initiative really that dangerous? I am not so sure it is and this variation might be worth a try.

11.h4 is the first new move. 11...Bd7 has only been played a few times, with white winning most of the games although I am not sure it is bad for black. There have not really been enough games with it for me to draw a definite conclusion. Most of the games featured opposite side castling and an interesting fight. This h4 idea is not new in positions of this type. A rook lift can be quite useful for white because it hits the queen on a4 and can attack down the g-file.

14...Kf8 looks like the only reasonable move. The king often goes here in the Winawer, and in closed positions like this I would not call it misplaced.

17...Rxc5 18.Rxb7 Rxe5+ 19.Kf1 Rxh5 looks great for black, but I missed that the h5 pawn would hang during the game.

I think that white ends up worse after 18.f4?! because this move restricts the scope of his bishop, and it is not easy to get in the f5 break without losing a pawn. 18.Be3, indirectly defending c5, should have been tried.

23...Ba4, attacking c2 may have been stronger but black is doing well regardless of where the bishop goes.

White cannot play 26.hxg6? because of tactics on g2 and d2. Work it out for yourself. I was really trying to start an attack here because I was low on time, and would probably not be able to win without checkmate or huge material gains.

According to the computer 29...Rxg3! is the best move. I had no time to calculate it, but I had a feeling that it was good.

The computer thinks that 31...Rxh2 is the best move, followed by a bunch of checks and queenside pawn grabbing. I had no time to figure anything out though. The rest of the game has mutual mistakes, but believe it or not, the computer shows that black is completely winning after 33...Rf1! which I played on intuition. I thought my attack would fizzle out after 34.Rf2, which my opponent didn't play, but it doesn't! Instead he got into huge trouble. My blunder on the last move was just a mouse slip in time trouble (less than 2 seconds left), obviously black is winning.

I am sick and tired of losing on time in 15-20 minute games. I swear that if I had a bit more time, I would be like 100 rating points stronger online. Maybe it is time to start playing 30 minute games, or increment games, but it can be hard to find an opponent.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 pm
Rook

I've lost every game I posted so far on this page, apart from the blitz game. Well, here come two more. Both were french defenses. In the first one I had no clue what to do in the opening, and in the second one my opponent played unambitiously by just reacting to my moves, and we got into some equal endgame where I got low on time and started hanging pawns. So of course I lost, and worst of all, my opponent did not do anything! Games like that tempt me to give up the french for something in which I can develop a quicker initiative with black, but of course there is more than one way to play the french so I may just have to try some different lines. I am not giving up on it, at least not yet.

Here is the first one (30 minutes per player):

13...Nh5 may look odd, but it threatens ...Rxf3 in a lot of lines, and prepares to put the knight on f4, so I think it is a good move. It has been played many times, and black's score is more or less normal.

14...Nxg3?! certainly did not look appealing because it opens the f-file for white, and blunts black's bishop and queen on the h2-b8 diagonal.

15...Qf7? was a positional blunder that, combined with my next move, left the f4 Knight out on a limb. The queen does not really belong here, and white is unlikely to allow something like ...Nxg2 from black. 15...Bd7 was obvious, and good. Black has a plus score after that move, but a really bad score after all of the other moves that have been played on move 15. I rejected 15...Bd7 because I thought that after 16.Qc2 g6 white would be threatening to sac the bishop on g6, but obviously this is not possible with the queen in front of the bishop! It's always fun to calculate variations that are not possible...

16...g6? is even worse than my last move. 16...Ng6 was necessary, but obviously not what black should be aiming for in this opening. The rest of the game is not worth analyzing. My opponent was clearly in the driver's seat after 17.Bh6, and the Knight on f4 ended up having no where to go but to h5, which opened my kingside in an opposite coloured bishops situation. I didn't have to allow him to win my queen (I was morally defeated at this point and missed it) but white is still much better if you look at the difference in power between the two bishops and the difference in king safety.

In this next game I faced the advance variation, which I don't face often. I tried a system for black that I have only tried in a few blitz games, but wasn't happy with the amount of play I got against an opponent who was not playing very ambitiously (despite him being higher rated). There are many different ways to play this system, however, and I just need to familiarize myself with them, and not be afraid to mix things up a bit more. It was a 15 minute game with 3 second increment, which kept me from flagging but not from screwing up.

8...f6 is a more ambitious way to play as black, and something that I should try in the future.

10.Qe1?! gave me the impression that my opponent is not familiar with the ideas of this system, because this move allows black to activate his bad bishop by putting it on a4, after which I find his position preferable.

11.Bd1?! also makes no sense to me. That bishop is usually white's best piece in the advance variation, while the light squared bishop is black's worst.

I had no idea what to do after the bishop exchange, despite having a good position. I was afraid that if I castled long (after ...h6 to prevent Ng5 from white) then white would play b3, and open the b-file towards my king. So instead I played the Rook to c8, to put some pressure on c3 in order to discourage white from ever playing b3 or b4. It was probably better to just put the queen on c7 instead, because it ends up going there anyway once white gets ready for b4.

16...0-0?! was probably bad because it allowed white to exchange his bad bishop for my good one. Maybe 16...h6 should be preferred.

I was in time trouble for nearly the rest of the game. The end game looked equal to me, but my opponent had a lot more time so he played on, and eventually I managed to mess it up. 22...f6? is a mistake though because if 23.exf6 black cannot answer with the desired 23...Rxf6 because of 24.Nxd5.

It may be wise to stick with 6...Nh6 against the Advance, instead of the ultra-closed 6...c4.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:20 pm
Rook

Lost ANOTHER game on FICS!! This brings me to like 8 in a row or some ridiculous amount, unless we count a draw that was somewhere in the middle of this streak (which I should have won). Anyway, this game was against the same opponent as the last one that I posted, and he played the exact same way...Basically he just gets a solid position, and pretty much only tries to stop me from carrying out my plans while draining my time on the clock as I try to find new plans. Once I am low on time, he strikes back! It is effective, and really annoying to play against. I flagged this time because the position was complex and the 3 second increment did not save me, though it kept me alive for a while. Here is the game:

There are a lot of different ways that white can play against this opening. Against 6...g6 I had actually planned to play 6.Be2, as advocated by Avrukh (2010). However, I rarely face this opening and have only studied it briefly, so it is no surprise that I forgot the theory on move 5. It isn't critical in a closed, not very tactical, opening like this one though. After 6.Be2 (which helps support moves like h4-h5 and g4) play can continue 6...Bg7 7.h4 h5 8.Bg5 Nbd7 9.Qd2 a6 10.f3 11.Nh3 N8h7 12.Be3 with a set-up that is kind of like the one I had in the game, but with the king's knight and bishop on better squares.

Time trouble was affecting me long before I flagged, but it seemed like once I was in severe trouble, I started losing control a bit and reacting to his moves instead of having him react to mine. Anyways, I am not going to analyze it as I felt like neither side really had an effective plan through most of the game. I am not unhappy with how I played; just with the fact that I am always losing on time. It is something I need to work on but that is easier said than done when in a complex position. I think I am sometimes trying to play too precisely in 15 minute games. I have to remember that it is only 3 times as long as a blitz game, in which me and my opponent make plenty of big errors. Often, trying to find a plan is what drains my time. I need to work on understanding positions like the one from the opening played in this game so that I can come up with plans faster and more effectively.

Whatever, I would rather play good and lose on time in a training game like this than play terribly and win on time. I cannot complain too much about how I played in this game, except for playing the wrong opening moves.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:36 pm
Rook

Okay, so it is time for my biweekly rating update:

FICS: 1960 (-74)

Chess.com: 1820 (+13)

Chesstempo: unchanged

I have been doing very bad on FICS. I am playing pretty well, just way too slowly. I guess that is partly because I am learning some new openings and often struggle to find the right plan in an unfamiliar position. I have only been playing 1.d4 for 8 months or so, mostly in blitz or correspondence games (started it 1 year ago and basically did not play or study from January-April because of school), so there is still a lot of openings, such as the Czech Benoni (see above game) where I do not really know what I am doing. It has probably been close to 2 years since I was this low rated on FICS; but sometimes you have to take a step back to go forward. I am not too worried, I just need to play a little bit faster.

I had a few quick and easy wins on chess.com, which put my rating a bit higher than it is now. Then I lost a couple of games. I am happy with how I am doing on that web site, as a 1750 on there seems just as strong as a 2000 on FICS, if not stronger.

I took a break from chess tempo because I was tired of staring at a computer screen while doing tactics. I will try to do them 2-4 times a week; though with school coming up it will be difficult. I do not think my tactical strength has really changed in the last 2 years or so, and I think it would take a lot of work to increase it. Still, I should do some so I don't get too rusty.

I stopped recording my rating on chesscube because I play blitz on there as well, so the rating changes would not accurately reflect a change in my strength in long games. Oh well, I hardly play standard time control on that web site anyways.

I also came up with a new idea for my opening study. Every time I play a game that is 15 minutes or more online (excluding correspondence) I am going to keep track of which opening it was, which major variation, ECO code (maybe not necessary), the result, and whether it was a win/loss on the board or on the clock. Now, obviously if I am completely busted long before I am in time trouble, and lose on time, then I will count it as a loss on the board. But I have lost many games on time in equal or even better positions, so I think it would be a good idea to see which openings (and resulting middlegames) put me in time trouble the most. That will show the positions in which I struggle to find a plan, and which I need to work on. Overall, I am just interested in which opening lines I face the most, and which ones I struggle in the most, whether it is on time, position, or both.
I have made a table for this and will probably start to analyze the results by the end of the year, after I have played a good number of games. I will probably keep it going after that though because it would interesting to see how often I face each opening per year.

Anyways, that is all for now. I start school on Wednesday, so I will have a lot less time to study chess. I hope to still play at least one 15 minute game per day; but whether I can post or analyze as many games a I have been doing is unclear.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:17 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
On your French disaster, when White plays a3 it is more normal to reply with c4. The idea is to stop White's queenside play by posting the knight on a5 (I know, it's "dim", but it's also theory) and the bishop on d7 where it can go to a4 in case White ever tries to play b3, you then exchange on b3 and when White recaptures with a piece you pin it to the queen. Get hold of a copy of MCO, even an older one, and have a look at the line. What usually happens is that the position becomes blocked in the centre and on the queenside so any play will be kingside. You need to prepared to withstand an attack if you choose to castle on that wing.

Needless to say if White tries to play b3 or b4 at once you capture the pawn and place a rook on the c file, shift your knight to c4 via a5 and go from there. There are various plans depending on what white does but moving the b pawn without preparation leaves him with weaknesses on c3 and a3 that can be attacked.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:35 pm
Rook

chawil wrote:
On your French disaster, when White plays a3 it is more normal to reply with c4. The idea is to stop White's queenside play by posting the knight on a5 (I know, it's "dim", but it's also theory) and the bishop on d7 where it can go to a4 in case White ever tries to play b3, you then exchange on b3 and when White recaptures with a piece you pin it to the queen. Get hold of a copy of MCO, even an older one, and have a look at the line. What usually happens is that the position becomes blocked in the centre and on the queenside so any play will be kingside. You need to prepared to withstand an attack if you choose to castle on that wing.

Needless to say if White tries to play b3 or b4 at once you capture the pawn and place a rook on the c file, shift your knight to c4 via a5 and go from there. There are various plans depending on what white does but moving the b pawn without preparation leaves him with weaknesses on c3 and a3 that can be attacked.

You're referring to the first game in this journal, right?

If so, I have tried the plan with 5...c4 (see the recent game with limpio a few posts ago) and am fairly familiar with the ideas. I think 5...Nh6 is a better move for me, however, because I tend to prefer partially closed positions to extremely closed positions, even when playing the french.

Oh, and I have seen MCO in the local library. It is rubbish if you want to prepare your openings to any sort of reasonable depth. I use Moskalenko's books on the french, but there are some lines that they do not cover. I can just fill in gaps with a database though, so it is not critical.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:35 pm
Rook

Here are some recent games. I finally won a game today, but for some reason it did not show up in the FICS database. It is not really worth looking at anyway, as my opponent took forever to move and hung a pawn and eventually got a piece trapped in his time trouble.

So this game is an exchange Slav from Tuesday. I misplayed the opening and got into a worse endgame which I lost. I will only analyze the opening, as I am unlikely to screw it up again, at least for a while:

9...b6?! is a stupid move. Black should play 9...e6, and after 10.Nf3 follow up with 10...a6. I rejected this because I thought that 11.Bxd7+ Nxd7 12.Ne5 prevented me from castling, but obviously black just plays 12...b5 and is slightly better. Shame on me for spending a lot of time on that and missing it; 12...b5 isn't exactly tough to find. The rest of the game is a disaster, especially when I allowed his past pawn to run down the board unopposed.

This next game, played on Wednesday, featured a sharp line of the Caro-Kann, an opening I am still very new to. I had studied this line previously, so I knew some of the theory. However, I should have been more careful with my king.

A quick database search revealed no games where 10.Bb5 was played. I remember reading in Schandorff's (2010) book on the Caro that 10...hxg4 was a good reply to that move. After 11.Qe2 I am not sure what is best, although putting the queen on c7 is pretty normal in these lines. Probably castling queenside was the first mistake.

The materialistic 12...Qxe5 looks playable, but I wanted to catch up on development. I think a solid move for black after 12.0-0-0 would be 12...Nge7, heading for f5. Black should not be worse with his more solid structure, and would most likely have good chances if he catches up on development before white can generate a big initiative.

At first I thought that 13.Nfxd5 was unsound, but upon closer examination it actually looks pretty good. The 14th move I played in the game was horrible, and 14...Qa5 is strongly met by 15.Bxc6 bxc6 16.Nb6+! when 16...Kc7 loses to 17.Rxd8 Kxd8? 18.Qd1+ and 16...axb6 loses to 17.Qxg4+. Therefore, black should play 14...Rxd5, which is not very appealing. Of course I missed all of this in the game, and made an even worse pawn grab, after which I was busted.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 pm
Rook

Even with the large workload from school, I have found time to play at least one 15-30 minute game per day. I am not sure how long this will last, but until the workload picks up I should have time for it. I have not really found time for much else, however. I have not done tactics for weeks now, and I have barely studied any opening theory in the last 12 days or so. I have been playing fairly badly, which is no surprise as I was struggling before the school year began, but every once in a while I have a game where I feel that I played alright - win or lose. Here is a half decent game from last night (15 minute).

The convenient thing about playing the Semi-Slav is that I can play 1...c6 against the English, when a transposition is likely, but not forced - as in this game.

4...dxc4 certainly looks the most testing, and I did not hesitate to play it, even though I am unfamiliar with this opening. I am not sure if white can transpose to some sort of Catalan, but I remember reading that the Catalan is not a good set-up against the Slav move order, so I went ahead and grabbed it. I am sure that white has some compensation, but whether it is enough for a pawn is questionable. Black happens to have a plus score after 4...dxc4 as well. Maybe grabbing the pawn on move 3 is good too.

After 6.b3 I was really starting to doubt white's compensation. 6.a4 is probably better. In the database white does well after 6...Bb7 7.b3 cxb3 8.Qxb3 a6 9.Ne5 e6 10.axb5 axb5 11.Rxa8 Bxa8 although black is still a pawn up.

8.Ba3 is probably the best move for white, because black has to waste time with a kingside fianchetto in order to maintain castling rights. His position still looks solid though, and white does not have a clear way of getting his pawn back.

In the two database games after 9.Bb2 black played 9...c5, liberating the b7 bishop before white stops him from doing so. This was probably the most accurate, but I wanted to try to catch up in development. For the entire middle game I am basically a pawn up for nothing.

I could not find a good way to advance my queenside pawns in the middlegame, and when we simplified to an endgame I started messing up because of time pressure. First of all, 28...Qb7?! is rather pointless, I should have just played 28...a5, because it is a move I will eventually play anyway, and because the queen is probably worse on b7. Second of all, 29...Nbd7 was probably necessary to prevent white's queen maneuver, which gives him way too much counterplay. Third of all, I should have admitted my mistake and given back the pawn with 31...Bc3, though the game is probably just equal at that point. At least I stay out of trouble that way.

38...Qxb3 looked too dangerous because of 39.Nf6+, though maybe a computer can get away with it. The rest of the game is a time trouble disaster, which ends with me walking into a mating attack.

Still, not a bad game when compared to many of my recent losses.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:49 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Interesting game- you certainly seemed to have chances and I also didn't think white got enough compensation but I don't know the theory and maybe he misplayed it. Thanks for sharing.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:14 am
Rook

Thanks Kamus. I do not know the theory either, but after my brief analysis of that game I still see no reason why black should not grab the c4 pawn.

Here are some recent games. I do not have time to do a thorough analysis of them, but I will make some brief comments on the openings... that is, except for the first game where I was supposed to play 2.Nf3 but forgot to.

I do not like the positions after 2...e5 for white, and therefore intended 2.Nf3 to be my repertoire move after which black usually either transposes to a KID, or plays 2...Bg4, but can also go for a Leningrad with 2...f5. Nevertheless, I somehow ended up in a good position.

This next game featured a fairly popular KID sideline that I have trouble remembering what to do against.

It turns out that I was playing the best moves up until 10.Bh4, which although I am sure is playable, is not the move I intended. 10.Bh2 is the move I studied but could not remember at the time. Play usually continues 10...c6 11.d5 Qe7 12.b4 f5 13.Ng5 Ndf6 with a complex position. Instead, I felt like I ended up in a worse position, then black let me out of the pressure, and ended up letting me checkmate him when I had 20ish seconds left on the clock and he had around 5 minutes. All he had to do to win was avoid being mated in my 20-25 seconds, which would have been easy to do!

This next game features an Anti-Moscow gambit, an opening that I have played as both white and black and know very little about. My opponent played a dubious line, but I could not remember why it was dubious. Fortunately I seemed to get an advantage, after which my opponent lost a piece and I won.

I thought that 10.d5 was the route to an advantage, based on vague memories of studying this opening, and fortunately it was. The mainline continues 10...Bb7 11.dxe6 fxe6 12.Nd4 Nc5 13.e5 Nd5 14.Bh5+ Kd7 after which white is obviously doing well.

10...Nc5 is probably bad. After 11.dxc6 (the principled try) I expect 11...Qxd1 12.Rxd1 when black should probably try 12...a6 13.Be5 as taking on e4 allows 13.Nxb5, with threats on c7. And if black takes on g3 to prevent these threats, he is left with a horrific pawn structure and poor development. 11...Qb6?! was probably worse than swapping on d1, however. The rest of the game is one sided, I think black might even be busted after 12...Bg7 (he should take on e4 with the c5 knight).

Okay, so time for biweekly rating updates (late, I know, but better late than never).

FICS: 1980 (+20)

Chess.com: 1788 (-32)

Chesstempo: unchanged, haven't had time.

I am slowly making a comeback on FICS, and also had a bad streak on chess.com, though I am slowly climbing back up there too. Overall, with the amount of time I have right now to study chess, I cannot really complain.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:59 pm
   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3