View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:44 pm

[ 3 posts ] 
gentlewhisper - GW vs Sarc Round 5 [49:10] 
Video Manager

gentlewhisper - GW vs Sarc Round 5 [49:10]
Poster: gentlewhisper
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800) | Videos Made: 73
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (3)

Video Tags: Sicilian

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Moa, Hapa, eimaj, Robert_T

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 am
Rook

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 Re: gentlewhisper - GW vs Sarc Round 5 [49:10]
Quite a fun game in the Sicilian! You almost had it at the end... unfortunate but educational nonetheless =)

That's a really interesting opening for White, and I've never seen Qxd4 after the 2.Nc3 move order. At first glance though, it looks like a worse version of the line after the 2.Nf3 move order, simply because the disrupting 5.e5 advance isn't supported by a knight! You played 4...f6 out of concern of the line 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 g6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 Nf6 5.e5, but black is actually more than fine after the continuation 5...Nc6 6.Qf4 (the queen must defend the pawn, hence the problem of the variation)Nh5, and after either 7.Qe3 or 7.Qe4, black simply plays d6 and has a great game (Note that the knight on h5 cannot be trapped by g4 due to black's lightsquare bishop.

After 10...d6 11.Nd4, you quickly dismissed 12.Ne6 because your bishop guards the square, but at that point, alarms should be going off about your light-square weakness and lack of space. After 12.Ne6 Bxe6 13.Bxe6, I think black is probably lost - white can continue with Nd5 and there are just far too many weaknesses in black's camp. After 12.Ne6, it's probably best just to sac the exchange! Either way, with black's lack of space, ideas of ...a6 ...b5 looked like a good way to get develop the lightsquare bishop, and after 11.Nd4, I'd be pretty happy to chop off the knight with 11...Nxd4, and after 12.Bxd4 f5! looks to trade off black's rather bad bishop and free up some room for his pieces to move.

After trading off into the Rook + Knight vs. Rook endgame, you played it extremely well, and I suspect I would have probably played 36...Ne5 instead of the much better 36...Ng5 in time trouble - very good eye!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:13 pm
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: gentlewhisper - GW vs Sarc Round 5 [49:10]
Bad news. My video is completely corrupted and although I tried to use editing software it just comes up with errors. No idea why. Have made another video to make sure the encoder is ok and it is. Sorry about that.

Plenty to say about the game! I had a look at the opening just before the game and it looked interesting. I had no idea what to do if 3...Nf6 instead of f6. I've since looked quickly in the book and it says 4.Qa4! with a small edge to white- but it can't be that big! After f6 as you said white is better but it's not so easy to prove it. I think the best approach would have been Be3- which allows my queen to retreat to d2 after Nc6 and white has a much better version of the Yugoslav. Still, after f4 and Qa4 I think I had the advantage. I played fine moves and spent ages considering an idea of playing b4 before rejecting it. Doing the commentary really slows me down and I was very tired.

In the middlegame, my tiredness really showed. All that thinking and now a bit of time pressure becasuse of my speed meant I was just drifting. I couldn't work out a plan and was just playing moves. I had the idea of Ne6 but seriously thought you had the square covered twice- that is how addled my mind was! It really was the best move as Hapa points out.

Why I played Bxc6 I do not know. Terrible move! After bxc6 you were winning and I think from that point you played very strong chess. Bc6! was excellent, f5 was good. A great pragmatic choice to trade queens (Qb8). I, however, continued to drift. I constantly had to tell myself to keep going and to try to get compensation: I did't handle making the blunder Bxc6 well at all. Nxe7+? looked like I was getting another pawn but in reality just activated your rook for free as you proved well. Nxb6 was actually much better and in that position I am probably lost but have good practical counterplay with those pawns.

Later, you missed that your knight was hanging but it didn't matter! I worked out that I couldn't take it straight away (hence recapturing the pawn first), but fooled myself that I might be able to get my rook back somehow to stop the g-pawn. It couldn't get back to take your g-pawn, though!

Rf6?? instantly let the dominating position slip- a real shame in time-pressure.You're right that Rf5!? was winning but best was Rf1! after which I have absolutely no counterplay, not even any tricks. The advantage of Rf1 is that it covers the queening square whereas after Rf5 Rb4! there is still a small chance for you to make a mistake.

After Rf6?? Rb4! (only move), you needed to come up with something to save the game. The g-pawn is now lost and with that in mind it's easy to find the move Rf2, which looks like it should draw as you get the c-pawn for the g-pawn. Either side could still blunder and maybe white has a small edge because his pawns are connected, but black should draw if he knows what he's doing. Kf5?? covers the g4 square so my rook can't come over but just plain loses. A shame, becasue you played quite accurately for the majority of the game and I was lucky to get away with it.

Plenty of drama, plenty to learn from! For both sides. I need to get more sleep so I'm not so tired- this would have enabled me to play the opening faster and see plans quickly. In that case I would never have played Bb5, Bxc6 (why!?) but instead Ne6. I also need to toughen up- when we make a mistake is when we are at our most vulnerable and even being short on time I should have taken more time to calculate Nxb6 and Nxe7.

The best swindler I know when he's losing amuses himself by looking at possible ways for his opponent to blunder. That was that attitude that carried me through. Just!

Cheers.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:58 pm
   [ 3 posts ]